Somebody to Love

"Bohemian Rhapsody" delivers raw emotion and an uplifting story of a one-of-a-kind artist

Somebody to Love

courtesy of Twentieth Century Fox

courtesy of Twentieth Century Fox

courtesy of Twentieth Century Fox

Ella Sinciline, Reporter

The legendary band Queen is widely recognized and appreciated by our generation — because of how quintessential the quality of music is and also how closely lead singer Freddie Mercury resonates with teenagers.  It is therefore no surprise that the film Bohemian Rhapsody has proven an instant box office smash.

Mercury is well known as an exceptional vocalist, debatably the best lead rock singer of all time. However, the side of Mercury that captures younger audiences is his non-conformist attitude. He did not comply with musical norms, social norms, or sexual norms, as an artist in the seventies or eighties might have. Instead, his utterly individualistic legacy remains among the most intriguing in music history.

Thus, as an avid Queen enthusiast, I entered the theater with the highest of expectations for Bohemian Rhapsody.  And I was not disappointed.

Before the film was released, many rumors surfaced, suggesting that the story might be “hetero-washed” in order to please a potentially conservative audience, or that the plot would not portray Mercury in a manner that would do him justice. Within about twenty minutes of watching, my fears were relieved.

Bohemian Rhapsody portrays Mercury extreme and expressive identity — rhapsodic, if you will. He takes risks and stirs the pot, but all with a large heart and a complete love for his bandmates.

The movie does a brilliant job of depicting both the beauty and gore that accompanied Freddie throughout his years in the spotlight. All of his relationships are explored and the viewer gets to see how his relations affected the type of music and lyrics he wrote. The movie provides the viewer with insight that shows how the band developed some of their greatest hits and achieve some of their most notable performances. Overall, the story is very raw and has a lot of heart.

More than anything, Bohemian Rhapsody explores what life meant for a small group of people. We see Freddie cry, love, fight, and celebrate — all in two short hours. The viewer watches a person find purpose and belonging, and because of that I would recommend this movie to anyone.

In a world full of movies that lack depth, this one stands out as a true cinematic gem, as well as a beautiful ode to an artist’s life and passion.

Ella Sinciline, Reporter

Ella Sinciline is a junior at NASH.  Ella is a starter on the Girls' Varsity Tennis Team. In her free time, she loves to write and go on adventures downtown.