Going Up!

In the rock-climbing unit, it’s a long way down

George Ivory, Reporter

NASH’s gym curriculum differs heavily from that of NAI. Instead of the units focused on your everyday workout, the curriculum at NASH adds a splash of creativity while maintaining the physical challenge of NAI’s gym curriculum. Though all of these units have their own personalities, rock climbing is one of the most anticipated. While many may not be aware of the location of the rock wall, students look forward to testing their climbing skills in this unique and challenging unit.

“What I love about climbing is that it’s a different challenge every time you go on the wall,” said Coach Kyriazis, who is currently teaching the rock climbing unit. “Not only can you build a lot of strength as a workout, but you can build confidence. Everyone can be challenged in their own way on the wall, no matter the skill level.”

If all the rock climbing in gym class isn’t enough, consider joining the rock climbing club sponsored by Coach Kyriazis. They meet every Tuesday after school at the rock climbing wall, located behind the home bleachers.

Everyone can be challenged in their own way on the wall, no matter the skill level.

— Coach Kyriazis

To start things off for this unit, students must first learn how to tie the proper knots necessary in order to prevent students from taking the scenic route back down the wall. Once students learn the climbing knots, they must certify for both climbing and belaying. Once they have fully certified, the students are at long last ready to begin the climb. Overall, there are 18 walls, all with their own challenge the students must overcome. Most walls hold a very plain and simplistic design, with some receiving t heir own nicknames and designs unique to only them.

While one student attempts to defeat the climbing wall of their choice, their partner ensures their safety by belaying. In the event that the climber slips from their position, the belayer will apply a brake to prevent the climber from falling a substantial distance. For each wall, there is a specific rock/bell that the student must grab hold of in order to signify that they have conquered the wall. After all of this is said and done, the climber begins their victory decent.

The students then switch roles, giving the other student their share of attempts to scale the wall. Once they have either attempted or finished the wall, the students move on to the next wall of their choice. All of the walls contain their own flavor of climbing, with some more specified in one climbing technique than the others. Standout features include rotating rocks, challenging overhangs, traversing from side to side, and not falling off the wall.

“It’s an enjoyable experience that you and your friends can enjoy while also being active,” said Ethan Pursley, a student currently in the rock climbing unit. As long as you can trust your friends not to drop you, it is definitely an activity that friends can enjoy.

Though the NASH gym units are not as bountiful as NAI’s during the course of the year, they surely score higher in the creativity department. Each of the unique gym units offered at NASH has its own touch of creativity and challenges on hand for students to experience. So grab your harness, acquire a partner, and don’t look down.