No to Nutmeg?

A review of the Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks

Stefan Bordeianu, Community Editor

It’s finally fall! The leaves are turning, we’re beginning to worry about Homecoming dates, and the Pumpkin Spice Latte has once again invaded Starbucks and Instagram feeds.

With so much excitement about the drink, I decided to go out and try one myself.

Before I went to Starbucks, I asked for a few students’ opinions.

“The Pumpkin Spice Latte reminds me of fall, and I like fall,” Maddie O’Connell said. “I just like pumpkins.”

For Liam Knobs, however, the seasonal drink holds no appeal. “I don’t drink coffee, but it sounds disgusting,” he said.

Matt Morrison went one step further in his condemnation. “I hate coffee and I hate pumpkin lattes,” the senior said.

But O’Connell was in company, as Ana Bordeianu approved of the drink’s blending of “pumpkin pie and coffee” flavors.

Dunkin' or Starbucks?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

With so many mixed reviews, I was not sure what to expect of the coffee, but the drink lived up to its name. When I smelled the latte, there was a strong aroma of pumpkin and coffee. No surprise there.  The taste was creamy and light and, although it was a sweet coffee, there was not enough sugar to overpower the flavor of the latte itself. There was an immediate sense of warmth and comfort. The flavors and smells were very simple but matched together very well.

I can now definitely understand the hype behind the Pumpkin Spice Latte. It tastes great and feels great. It is understandable that people might not like the latte, but I believe that much of the dislike can be attributed to the coffee flavor and not the pumpkin.

If you do not enjoy the taste of coffee, I would not recommend the Pumpkin Spice Latte. However, if you do enjoy the occasional, or perhaps daily, cup o’ joe, I highly recommend ordering one the next time you go to Starbucks.