Good Talk: Mr. Buchert

Somya Thakur, Social Media Director

What has been your best experience at NA?

I’m going to answer that in two parts. First, athletically, obviously being a part of three state championships over my career. Second, academically, seeing students go on to the next level and be successful. And then third, in both of those areas, establishing relationships with the students and seeing kids outside of the class after they’ve left. To see how they’re doing and what their doing are probably the two most rewarding experiences.

What is the best football game you have ever coached, and why?

There was the year when we played Shaler — it was early into the season, and we were losing by 13 or 17 points, and we came back and won 41 to 38 with a minute to go. That was probably one of the more exciting ones that I can remember.

What do you think has been your proudest moment as a teacher or a coach?

I think it goes back to what I said before about the most rewarding experience — it’s the relationships you establish with students and athletes while they’re here.  It’s rewarding to see them go on in different careers and be successful, have families, and still feel welcome and comfortable visiting you in the classroom or on the field.

Would you ever teach any other subject?

I think if I had another subject to teach then it would definitely be history. As I told my classes the other day, I love to read history, and I think that would be a fun subject to work with.

Do you think there is anything NA students worry about too much?

I’m not sure this is unique to NA students and I think it can be applied to athletes, too, but we are a numbers- and results-oriented society, and I think if we focused more on the process, then I think test results would take care of themselves.  They would be where students would want them to be.

What is your favorite 80s or 90s jam?

Nobody’s gonna know this, but my favorite song is “A Country Boy Can Survive,” by Hank Williams, Jr.

Where did you go to high school and what was your favorite subject in high school?

I went to North Hills High School and, obviously, my favorite sport was football and my favorite subjects were math and history.

Who would win a fight between Spiderman and Batman?

I don’t know, I gotta go with Batman. I mean he’s the caped crusader, ya know?

What are some of your favorite past times?

I like to hunt, I like to fish, and I like to read history.

Would you rather coach high schoolers or middle schoolers?

I actually do both, and I think each one is unique. At the middle school level, things are less intense and result-driven, and you really get a chance at that level, although I enjoy the same thing at the high school level.  You really get to see the younger kids grow because their abilities are raw, whereas when you get someone at the high school level they obviously have more experience at it. 

Is it hard managing your schedule during football season?

No, I don’t really think it is because from a very early age I was always involved with multiple sports. I had to learn how to balance things. I started playing football in second grade and I played basketball. In high school, I was always in multiple sports: football and wrestling or track. I think at an early age I formed those disciplined work habits that allow me to do both.

Are there any teacher cliques at NASH, and which one is the most fun to be a part of?

Not really a part of one, so I wouldn’t really know

Which game was better, Chiefs v Patriots or the Super Bowl?

I think that the Chiefs v Patriots game was more exciting from a spectator’s standpoint, but the Super Bowl was a good game.  It was more of a defensive struggle, which surprised a lot of people who were probably looking for a high scoring game, but as an older generation observer it was kind of nice to see a defensive game.

What do you think is essential to make a hard-working and successful student?

I guess two things. A willingness to practice and, what I think is hard for a lot of students, the ability to accept setbacks and not think it’s the end of the world.  Learn from experience and make yourself better from those mistakes.

If you had three words to describe yourself, what would they be?

Disciplined, hard-working, and blue collar.

If you could be any animal, which one and why?

A wolf — I have that on my license plate. I like their environment and how they work in packs.