Practice for Prom

Prom Fest brought in local vendors who are gearing up for the season

Ella Backauskas, Reporter

Though May 4th, the date of the 2019 Prom, seems in the distant future, the scene in the cafeteria earlier this month suggested otherwise.  Prom Fest, the annual showcase of local vendors, had arrived, and curious juniors and seniors took notice.

“I thought Prom Fest was pretty cool,” Kenna White said. “Going in the limo and the party bus was fun and I had a good time looking around at everything there. It gave me a good idea of what I need for when I start shopping.”

Many students came for the excitement and stayed when they realized it would help them plan for Prom. There was also a chance to win two tickets to the Post Prom.

Organized by the NASH GSA, the event brought in vendors who were stationed at display tables in the front of the cafeteria.  The vendors promoted everything from limousines and party buses to dresses and make-overs.

“This is my fifth year doing Prom Fest,” said Jan Winner, a vendor representing Carlisle’s Bridal. “It’s rewarding and really cool to see the kids’ reactions to the dresses. Also, I know we sell from it, so it helps us out, too.”

Seasoned driver and representative Joe Ober from B&M Limo said, “It helps our company big time. We fill either five or four out of our five cars on North Allegheny’s prom night. Prom Fest gives up an opportunity to get into the North Hills. This is our 6th year at Prom Fest.”

For Ryan Barancho and Max Lewandowski from Eventioneers, the opportunity to promote their services to a student audience was invaluable.

“Prom Fest does a lot to get into the community and to inform students,” Barancho said. “We want to make the graduation party process as smooth as possible and this event helps to do that.”

As well as helping to promote local vendors’ products and services, Prom Fest made it simple for students at NASH to begin planning for the big night.

“Really, the whole purpose of Prom Fest is convenience,” said Mr. West, English teacher and sponsor of the GSA. “It’s supposed to be a one-stop shop for kids to get all their Prom shopping done.”

Prom Fest, which occurs annually at NASH and is the GSA’s largest fundraiser of the year, is the ultimate opportunity for procrastinators and/or people who don’t like to shop around aimlessly for the biggest dance of the year.