All In for TigerThon 2019

The annual dance-a-thon has raised record-breaking funds in the fight against pediatric cancer

Madi Robertson, Reporter

This past Sunday, TigerThon held one of its first workshops. The dance-a-thon is scheduled for March 30th, which means it’s rapidly approaching. To prepare, developments that have been going on since the beginning of the school year came together on Sunday with the help of the 150 committee members.

“The workshop was a very successful preparation day for TigerThon, which is less than 3 weeks away,” said TigerThon Event Captain Kristen Chomos.  “It was great to see each of the committees taking initiative to prepare for their aspect of the dance marathon. The hallways were lined with posters, raffle baskets, t-shirts, and much more.”

The annual TigerThon is a monumental project for North Allegheny in the fight for a cure for pediatric cancer, and it’s all possible due to the hard work of the students involved. The six-hour charity dance requires months of development, and TigerThon 2019 promises to exceed already lofty expectations. Families and students from around the community will come out to support this amazing foundation and dance the night away.

“Everybody’s hard work further demonstrated their passion for ensuring that No Child Fights Alone against pediatric cancer,” Chomos said. “From the TigerThon football game to holiday caroling and everything in between, this has been a very special year of preparation for the 2019 dance marathon.”

The recent Sunday workshop took place over the span of two to three hours, depending on the committee and how much needed to get done.

Shannon Kress, the Captain of the Raffle Basket Committee, expressed her excitement about the dance coming together. “We got so much done for the event, not only in my committee, but for the whole event,” the senior said. “TigerThon’s coming up quickly, and I’m so excited to see the final result.”

The raffle baskets this year are looking better than ever, and the organizers encourage attendees to look for them on the night of the dance. All sales go towards the total amount donated.

“We are striving to unite the student body in the fight against pediatric cancer and build upon the $34,777.67 that we raised last year,” Chomos added. “This year, we are working to raise $50,000 to continue showing North Allegheny’s support for the Pittsburgh families who are battling pediatric cancer.”

In addition to dancing, many students will be performing on March 30th, and the event will also welcome the Misencik family, who is facing the battle against pediatric cancer to share their story and be a part of the NA community. Nora Misencik is a two-year-old battling neuroblastoma. She and her family came to a football game earlier in the year, and the TigerThon members are excited to have them at NASH again.

Admission to the event is based on the t-shirt sales currently taking place during all lunch periods.  At $25 a piece, a Tiger Thon t-shirt is all students will need to gain entry to one of the most unique and energetic events of the year.

“It is inspiring to see how great of an impact a group of students can make in the community, and I am excited to see everybody’s hard work come together on March 30th,” Chomos said.