NA Takes on PMEA

Musically gifted students recieve the recognition they deserve

Alexis Franczyk, Reporter

The Pittsburgh Music Educators Association (PMEA), originally named Pennsylvania Bandmasters Association, is an organization that is dedicated to promoting music development throughout the state of Pennsylvania. It originated in 1933, when a small group of men, including school band directors, formed the first statewide organization for music in Pennsylvania.

Originally, this program was more focused on promoting the education of musical instruments in schools, but with the increase of participants, PMEA evolved to accommodate musical directors who felt their students deserved the same recognition. This led to the change in name and the addition of orchestra and choral students.

Because of this change, PMEA broadened their focus from just instrumental education to promoting general music education and performance in schools and communities, preschool through college. Their mission statement is as stated, “The mission of the Pennsylvania Music Educators Association is to advance comprehensive and innovative music education for all students through quality teaching, rigorous learning, and meaningful music engagement.”

“The mission of the Pennsylvania Music Educators Association is to advance comprehensive and innovative music education for all students through quality teaching, rigorous learning, and meaningful music engagement.

— PMEA

Recently, select members of NA’s choral program, including four sophomores and two juniors, qualified for the states division of PMEA. Previously to qualify for states, these students had to make it past districts and regions. Each student comes prepared with a selection of songs that PMEA chose to challenge and advance students. With these songs, students will audition for the next round of the festival and rehearse with students alike, from all twelve Pennsylvania districts, to put on a concert for anyone who wants to come enjoy.

The first day of the festival consists of each student auditioning for the next division festival; following that are two days of rehearsing the same selection of songs for a concert held on the fourth and final day of the festival. The audition process is not set up in the traditional student against student format. In an article written by Allysa Britten for PMEA News she states,“This program is in an effort to rate the student ensembles against a standard of excellence, not against other participants. The adjudicators offer comments on areas of achievement and offer suggestions for improvement. Positive criticism is a goal to help enhance the students’ playing abilities at all levels.” The auditions are not to see who is the best but rather to help students reach their highest potential.

“PMEA was a great experience as I got to meet new people that share common interests with me, and I made some great friend ships along the way,” said junior and former participant in PMEA, Henry Mokube. “I’ve done it since last year and don’t regret it one bit. I recommend doing it if you’re interested in music!”

PMEA is an incredible experience and opportunity to meet students with similar interests in music from all over the state of Pennsylvania. It is incredible how tightly knit a group can become when bonding over a shared interest — music and performance. And to this day, many people believe PMEA is the driving force behind music in Pennsylvania schools.