Diverse and Dynamic

The Celebration of Us is set to take center stage at NASH

Somya Thakur, Social Media Directer

Despite common perception, North Allegheny is home to numerous cultures. In order to bring greater awareness to district diversity, The Celebration of Us will take place this Wednesday, April 10th from 6-8pm at NASH.

Organized by the NA Diversity Committee, the event will feature artistic performances, speakers, and presentations showcasing school clubs and community organizations that promote diversity and global issues, and an array of food trucks.

The Celebration of Us event is just one way the District continues to provide students with the resources and experiences to become culturally responsive citizens who recognize, accept and celebrate the many ways we are all different,” said Mrs. Hutton of Marshall Elementary.

The Celebration of Us is what makes NA NA.

— Jaime Martinez, junior

For event organizer Jaime Martinez, the event is one of the highlights of the year.

“This is the third time the Celebration of Us has taken place, and each year it grows and becomes more and more popular,” Martinez said. 

Perhaps the most entertaining moments of the event are the performances put on by students throughout NA.  Among the lineup of performers are NA students who attend the Yanlai Dance Academy and Xiaobo’s Waist Drum Dance Group.

“There is so much talent, so many varying options, so many different cultures,” Martinez said. “Being able to put it on display for a night is a very cool way to rally the NA community.”

Co-chair to Mrs.Hutton, Mrs.Fraser, the Assistant Principal at NAI, is especially excited for the event.

Celebration Of Us has become such a hallmark of North Allegheny School District, focusing on the mission of celebrating our K-12 students’ diverse backgrounds that make them so special,” Fraser said. “Between the several performances and exhibit tables, students and community members have the platform to share their work and educate one another, contributing toward cultural responsiveness. I am proud of all those involved and am excited to continue these efforts in Diversity Education.” 

The event is free to enter and enjoy.