Good Talk: Mr. Zebley

Alex Flagg, Co-Editor-in-Chief

What classes do you teach at NA?

I teach Tech Design, Materials, Construction Systems, Robotics, and Stage Technology Productions.  That’s usually what I teach, but next year, I’ll have some down at NAI.

How has NA changed since you were here?

Security has increased greatly — that’s the biggest thing that’s noticeable.  Attendance has gotten much tighter. My cousin went to school with me and was tardy 89 days her senior year. That’s probably the biggest change — most of it has stayed the same though.

What were you like as a student?

I was fairly quiet — still kinda in the shop and with the stage stuff.

How are you involved in productions here?

I do stage managing, which is all the backstage work, and I do all the sound and lights for the musical and all the tech for the fall play.

What’s your favorite part of your job?

Working with kids.

What’s the craziest thing to ever happened in one of your classes?

Oh jeez, there’s a lot!  I don’t want to use the gory ones because that might look bad on the class.  There’s millions of funny stories … but nothing that’d be appropriate to pass along.

What’s the coolest project you’ve made with the school?

I’d say the sets are definitely the coolest big project I’ve ever made.  Students have made go-karts and new bumpers for their vehicles. That stuff works out pretty well!

What’s it like working with all that crazy expensive equipment?

I feel very privileged that we have so much nice stuff.  I think it’s a great experience for the kids to work in a fairly professional environment.  We’re very fortunate.

Who’s more annoying during shows, cast or pit?

Cast, by far!  Most of the cast I like a lot, but every once in a while, we get a person who thinks they’re better than everyone else and doesn’t like to take direction.  That really annoys me — I can’t deal with entitlement.

Biggest auditorium pet peeve?

Messes.  Everybody leaves a mess.

Favorite production you’ve ever worked on?

My favorite show that I’ve ever worked on was probably Cinderella.  My end of it came together very well.