The Hidden Cost of Senior Year

Senior year is many things, and expensive is definitely one of them

Madi Robertson, Reporter

Senior year is a time filled with many, many things — trepidation, apprehension, the diagnosed sickness known as senioritis (everyone catches it, yes, even you), and, most notably, unexpected changes, are all very much present. However, one underlying factor of senior year is the amount of money you’re expected to spend.

Many incoming seniors may not realize is the toll that senior year will take on theirs and their parents’ wallets. College applications are an obvious issue, what with all of them being around $45 a piece. Unfortunately, college applications are only the beginning of a nine-month shopping spree that never seems to end.

There’s the added pressure of showing up to Homecoming and MORP, with everyone’s excuses of it “being your senior year.” Honestly, I would definitely say go to both dances, but just try to not feel pressured into buying an expensive dress or outfit that’ll be worn for one night.

The cost of senior year is definitely a drawback, but the events themselves have been so worth it.

There’s a bit of a break in the winter (minus MORP), which is probably to give seniors a chance to recover from the absolute frenzy that was the college application process and the regular school dances.

The spring is North Allegheny’s final chance to snatch every penny possible, and trust me, there will be no mercy. From field trips and banquets to even the big Prom, April and May are a time of spending money.

Prom is obviously a big one. With tickets costing up to $85 a piece, there is already a serious strain monetarily. Including the cost of dresses/tuxes, shoes, hair, makeup, transportation (book EARLY), Prom is undoubtedly the most expensive night of a typical high schooler’s career.

Be careful, however, because after spending an unholy amount on Senior Prom, there are then Senior Banquet tickets. The Gateway Clipper is the annual host of such an event, and it costs a pretty penny to attend. It starts at $70, and the price goes up to $80 if any unlucky seniors make the mistake of waiting until the end of the week to buy tickets. I’m not even going to touch the stress of finding a cute senior banquet outfit, which will obviously cost even more money.

I can definitely say without a doubt that I don’t regret going to any of the functions I mentioned above. Obviously, as I’m writing this, the SeniorĀ  Banquet hasn’t happened yet, but I’m sure it’ll be as memorable as everything else. The one thing I just can’t get over is how insanely expensive everything is.

My sister went through the whole process seven years ago, and I must have missed the whole “costly” part of her senior discussions, because I was surely in for a shock when I realized what was in store for my bank account.

I’ve also come to realize that, as an incoming college student, this financial stress is only just the beginning. The cost of senior year is definitely a drawback, but the events themselves have been so worth it. Don’t let this article deter you from taking part in these activities, but use it as a message of caution.