Good Talk: Mrs. Rhinehart

Anjana Suresh, Copy Editor

How did you decide to become a teacher?

I kind of always wanted to be a teacher, but I got sidetracked by writing in college. I ended up working for four years as a public relations specialist. I didn’t have a teaching degree at that point; I just majored in English. So I was in that job, and it was okay, but I didn’t love it. I kept feeling like I should have become a teacher, so I ended up going back to school and getting a teaching certificate. My mom was a teacher — she taught elementary school, and my stepdad was a principal, so I kind of have education in the family, too.

How long have you been at NA for? 

This is my 13th year here.

What would you teach if you didn’t teach English?

That’s a hard question. Maybe something philosophy-based or something like that, definitely a subject still in the humanities.

What’s your all-time favorite book? 

Dracula.

Do you have any pets? 

Yes! I have a cat named Nutmeg.

You mentioned that you were involved in ballet. How did you get started with that?

I just started taking classes. My neighbor took classes, and I was interested in it during middle school. I got really, really into it, and in college, I ended up double majoring. So I had a dance major as well as English. I taught dance for about ten years at a local studio as well. 

What is your favorite topic to teach in your AP or Honors class? 

I really enjoy Romanticism and Transcendentalism as well — both the British and American versions.

What’s something that surprises people about you? 

Probably that I live in the South Hills but I work here. It’s a little bit of a long commute. People are also surprised by my dance background, I would say.

What’s your biggest pet peeve?

Dishonesty, especially among students.

Favorite restaurant? 

I really like Texas de Brazil, which is a Brazilian steakhouse in Station Square. And I like The Melting Pot, too. It’s hard to pick just one.

What is one piece of advice you would give your students?

I would say don’t doubt yourself. It’s really easy, especially here at NA, to feel like you’re not good enough when you measure yourself against other people, but always measure yourself against yourself.