Hello, Mr. President

Meet Jaime Martinez, President of the Class of 2020

Neeti Cherukupalli, Staff Writer

With several others running for Class President, did you expect a victory in the election this year?

I was confident in the ideas I was running on and I was confident that a lot of my peers would resonate with my message; however, with the amount of talented candidates running for president, I had no expectations, just high hopes!

What are your plans for the year as class president?

In addition to planning Prom, the Senior Banquet, and creating the senior shirts, I ran on four fundamental ideas I would like to see action on over the course of the next year: expansion of access to student opportunities, senior/school spirit, lowering event costs for seniors, and addressing stress at school. Over the course of the year, I hope to work with my fellow officers to tackle these issues in creative ways and make this senior year full of big results!

Many students tend to undermine the importance of the class officers, viewing the positions as nothing more than a title that comes with no authority. What exactly is your role as President and how do you plan on changing students’ attitudes towards your position?

To start, there’s a big misconception about elected positions like Student Council and Class Council. Having been in both organizations previously, there is a HUGE workload put on officers. Planning dances and parades and fundraisers on top of schoolwork is no easy task, and I’d like to commend all of the club officers at school for dedicating so much time to their passions and working to enrich student culture. Class Council’s bedrock focuses are Prom and the Senior Banquet, so as President, I will be working with my fellow class officers to plan these events and make sure every detail is accounted for! Hopefully, with an increased presence in the school, we’ll be able to take a bit more of the credit! 😉

What long term impacts do you hope to leave on the school? 

I hope this year’s council sets a standard of excellence that future students can look up to and live up to. Personally, I hope to show that positivity goes a long way in every aspect of life! 

Who do you think will be the next U.S. President and who should be?

The presidential race is heating up and it’ll be interesting to see who’s on the ballot come next November; I hope that no matter who is elected, they represent the will and conscience of the people. Presidents are people that children should look up to and say, “This is someone who inspires me. I would like to be him/her one day.” I hope whoever our next president is come January 2020, they are someone who leads with character, integrity, and bold ideas for our futures.

If there is one thing you could change about this country, what would it be?

Seeing an enormous decrease in polarization! Watching our country return to a political climate where the issues are the headlines as opposed to the latest smear or insult would bring a sense of normalcy to America again. Politics has become such a circus that people become either apathetic or manic, which is a huge danger to our democracy; apathy is the first step to the destruction of democratic values. If we can get people enthused about politics by backing off personal slander and diving into the issues which affect Americans each and every day, then our country is all the stronger because of it.

Do you currently have a First Lady?

Nope!

Can you speak another language? 

I am fluent in Spanish and am getting there with French!

Do you have any hidden talents?

This is ridiculous (and true), but I’m actually better at shooting a basketball in the hoop when I throw it backwards than when I face the hoop itself. Go figure.

What are you looking forward to during senior year?

I can’t wait for the decisions on colleges to start coming in, the end-of-year activities, and graduation! I know everything is going to fly by, so I’m looking forward to enjoying every single moment  we have left.

Who is your favorite teacher at North Allegheny?

Every teacher I have had at North Allegheny has gone above and beyond with me and has left a lasting impression. I have never had a bad experience, and I really don’t have a favorite…it’s too hard to choose!

What do you see yourself doing in 20 years?

I see myself helping the less fortunate; whether that be as a doctor or as something else, I would like to dedicate my life to others!

Some NASH students see you as the most efficient student–what’s your secret?

First and foremost, sleep. Never sacrifice your sleep. Second, efficient time management skills; put away the phone, set out your goals, and be responsible in completing them. Third, keep a positive mentality; if there’s a will, there’s a way! 

How much sleep do you usually get?

I’m usually in bed by 9 PM, but sometimes it will be a little earlier on a soft day and a little later on nights before big exams. Never ever past 10:30, PM though! YES, it’s possible!

Final Question: Can you finally turn up the temperature inside of NASH?

I’ll see what I can do! 🙂