Bound for the Beach, Diploma in Hand

NASH seniors have already to begun their senior trips this summer.

Mia Capretta, Staff Writer

As the end of senior year approaches, the lives of NASH seniors are getting more eventful by the minute. Everyone can feel the anticipation for the spring season. Some of our seniors are counting down the days to receive their caps and gowns. Others are getting ready to meet with their new college roommates. Some are getting ready for a senior trip. 

It’s finally time for some freedom, and for many in the Class of 2020, that means booking a senior trip.

This month, many hesitant NASH parents are helping their seniors book one of the most memorable trips in a high schooler’s life. From housing, transportation, and scheduling, a senior trip is a good introduction to many of the responsibilities that will be introduced after graduation. A lot of us have yet to get a taste of the real world outside the Wexford bubble. Taking an unchaperoned trip could therefore be a lot to handle for some seniors. 

“I originally thought planning would be super easy but I quickly realized that wasn’t the case,” Emma McWilliams said. “After about two weeks of looking online, we finally found a place in Rehoboth Beach that would rent to 18-year-olds.” 

The most ideal spots for a trip are small beaches with boardwalks, good restaurants, and friendly people. A lot of this year’s seniors decided on Ocean City, Maryland.

“We found a spot in Ocean City that’s really close to where our other friend group is staying,” Peter Lawless said. “It will be really cool for us all to be down there together at the same time.” 

While rules and regulations are the least of most of our traveler’s concerns, this week at the beach can easily become dangerous. With parents hours away and an open house, it becomes especially important to keep safe — and smart.

“Being so independent, I think, will be a shock for a lot of us,” Stefany Kaminski said. “I think making good decisions will help reassure our parents we are mature and ready for life on our own at college.” 

It turns out that NASh alumni are eager to share their advice to this year’s graduating class.

Austen Skopov, freshman at Ohio State University, recounted her experience.

“It was the best week of my life, hands down,” Skopov said. “Without any parents, it gave us a glimpse of the freedom we’d have in college. It was so fun being surrounded by your best friends with complete independence. Plan everything as early as possible and make sure its a good, safe area.”

Mia Smyers, a freshman at Slippery Rock University, had a similar experience.

“We had so many laughs and made so many memories,” Smyers said. “We all considered planning another trip in the future. Keep in mind everyone’s price range and how much they are willing to spend. It becomes hard to find a price that worked for everyone but keeping an open mind helps to find the perfect house.”

The senior trip is a privilege that a lot of NASH students get to take part in. And from the looks of it, this year’s seniors are sure to come back with plenty of memories, new bonds, new experiences, and a good sunburn.