Front and Center Fixer-Upper

The usually empty trophy case near the NASH entrance is undergoing a redesign, and Officer Ray is leading the way.

photo by Meg Rees

Officer Ray has been devoting his time after school hours to renovating the trophy case at the front of the cafeteria.

Somya Thakur, Staff Writer

For all of its students’ achievements in academics, athletics, and the arts, NASH — the physical structure itself — is hardly in contention for any awards of its own. Commonly likened to a prison by the students who walk its halls, the building’s drab colors and scant supply of windows leave much to be desired.

But School Resource Officer Todd Ray is looking to change that, one project at a time, beginning in the front of the building.

“The trophy display case is one of the first things a visitor sees when they enter our school, and it needs to be refurbished,” Ray said.

Chances are, most students simply walk past the trophy case in the morning without notice. In fact, the case often remains empty. 

“I genuinely don’t think I’ve ever looked at the trophy case in my time here at NASH,” senior Patrick Upton, StuCo Dance Committee Head, said. “We usually cover it up whenever we decorate for dances.”

Senior Ana Granite agreed.

“It never really catches my eye when I walk into school,” she said. “My eyes just pass over it.”

Ray’s job at NASH, of course, falls far outside the realm of painting and carpentry.  But in his free time after school he’s been teaming up with Senior Class President Jaime Martinez to get moving on the project.

“The case sits in a prime location, and kids pass it every day,” Martinez said. “I am excited at the prospect of students taking pride in our school building, cooperating with administration, and working together to make our building look better. There is so much untapped potential sitting at the heart of our school, and I believe now is the time to take things into our own hands.”

He’s stepped up to make the school look better, and this gives the students something to look forward to.

— Emily Vaiz, senior

Ray’s aim is to use the showcase to promote the variety of student organizations and achievements at NASH.

“The accomplishments made by our students shouldn’t go unnoticed, and I would like to see the display case showcase their hard work,” he said. 

Thus far, Ray has acquired the help of several NASH teachers in his redesign of the case.

“I have been working with Kevin Zebley, Jamie Matthews, and Shawn Connors in regard to construction and artistic design,” Ray said.

While plans are not confirmed, Martinez has solicited ideas from the student body, such as lights, a monitor, and recently won trophies in athletics, academics, and the arts.

Ray is determined to let the students make those decisions.

“I am looking for input through Student Council because this is something I want the students to be proud of,” he said.

Martinez can attest to that, as well.

“NASH is a hub of student activity,” he said. “There are always students hammering away at promoting ambitious goals and activities throughout the year. I believe it’s important to have a dedicated space to showcase all of the outstanding achievements of our student body. It’s important to recognize all our organizations, our student community, and how we are a better school because of them.”

There have also been discussions of having a mural on the sides of the trophy case to add some color and life to it. Currently, the student who would create the mural has not yet been decided, but students associated with the project are working on a way to choose a student artist. 

“It’s honestly really nice of Officer Ray to take charge and do this for the students,” said senior Emily Vaiz. “He’s stepped up to make the school look better, and this gives the students something to look forward to.”