RANTS & RAVES

Defective time and melodies sublime

Katelyn Steigerwald, Junior Class Editor

RANTS

Someone, please let me know why none of the hallway clocks work these days. I’m by no means the type of student to watch the clock all period or rely on the hallway digitals to get me from place to place, but when I do occasionally glance up to check the time, it would be nice to actually see a time. Half of the clocks in this building are broken, and last I checked random messes of numbers are not northeast standard. So next time I’m late and trudging up or down the endless flights of stairs, I hope to be graced with the presence of a working clock.

Why is it so hard for mother nature to make up her mind? Seems like it’s 50 degrees and raining one day and 75 and sunny the next. A warm day here and there is much appreciated, but the best fall afternoons are those consisting of brisk air and cozy sweaters. If it were up to me, we would have fall weather, apple cider, pumpkin patches, and an excess of scary movies year-round. I guess I just can’t wait for colder days to finally set in here.

A major issue many of my friends and I have noticed is the stubbornness of teachers when it comes to using the restroom during class. I think it’s extremely unfair to push students through the period without allowing them to leave under any and all circumstances. We are all human. We all need a break. It just feels like it’s going a little too far to penalize students for leaving during class, if only for a few minutes at a time.

RAVES 

By far, the best part of my post-lunch afternoon is waltzing through the Arts wing of NASH. I love the energy. Talented musicians hard at work, artists perfecting their latest piece — it’s a fantastic atmosphere. At NA, we are so lucky to have an amazing cluster of courses including a variety of musical media and a selection of engrossing art classes. You never know, the boy who sits next to you in Calculus or the girl you hold the door for in the hall might be the next Picasso or Ella Fitzgerald.

Every student needs an arbitrary snack midway through a day of lectures, tests, and work. And the food options here at NASH, specifically the vending machines, have apparently improved. With more choices of drinks and snack foods than ever before, you can surely find something small to eat alongside your lunch or munch on quickly in-between classes.

One of my favorite pastimes is checking out all the different stickers and mementos my peers decide to showcase on their laptops. Ever since we added all this new technology to our daily routines, students have seized the opportunity to get creative and personalize laptops to the max. It’s so fun to check out someone’s laptop back and instantly know a slew of interesting things about them. It is easy to say that artsy and sometimes outlandish stickers rule most laptops here at NASH.