Adopt a Senior

A campaign begin by Facebook has swept across social media as senior years comes to a close.

Hannah Ledrick, Staff Writer

High school seniors across the country are missing out on huge milestones, like Prom, senior banquet, and a traditional graduation.

For all the graduating seniors, this time has been extremely difficult, but there is still so much to be thankful for right now. Facebook has started a new trend where seniors are put up for “adoption” where others can adopt them during this time. 

Adopting a senior became a national campaign after it was started b a school in South Carolina. Since then, many high schools and areas have joined in on the movement creating their own Facebook groups for those specific areas. Though Facebook holds the majority of these groups, this movement has taken over other social media platforms as well. 

“It has been really cool to see how people are coming together to cheer us on. I think what people are doing right now is amazing and really special,” said senior Anna O’Connor. “Now groups are banding together to make sure we still have a special end to our senior year”

Basically, families and parents post a picture of their senior with a brief biography about their interests, then other members “adopt” them by commenting on the post. Anyone can nominate a senior for “adoption,” even friends, and anyone can adopt. Some of those who adopt a senior or two send cards or small gifts. 

“The reason for adopting a senior is to uplift them and to try and bring some joy into their life right now,” said Beckey Gore, the woman who adopted me as part of this program. “Many seniors are feeling very upset about the losses of their senior year and this brings light into the darkness. “These kids have worked so hard to make it this far, it makes this investment worth it.”

To adopt a senior, all you have to do is comment on the post that you would like to “adopt” the senior. Usually, the adopter private messages their senior through the messenger app and they ask some further questions. Some even have the senior they adopted fill out a form of likes and dislikes so they can meet their interests. 

There are no specific requirements for gifts or how many times a senior can be adopted. 

The beauty in all of this is people are showing kindness from everywhere. Some people are adopting seniors from across the country whom they’ve never met. There have even been trends where seniors receive cards from every state. This movement has brought seniors together supporting one another and families supporting other’s kids. 

To all the seniors out there, this movement has meant so much. The best part about it is it’s bringing people together and creating lasting relationships even after the senior goes to college. It’s a digital way to show the seniors out there someone cares and is proud of them. 

In a time of crisis, people are stepping up to show love in any way they can. This movement has a huge heart and is bringing out the best in people.