Lunchtime at Length

New social distancing guidelines have made it difficult for some students to enjoy lunch.

photo by Eva Bellissimo

Sonia Lofgren, Ana Donaldson, and Liza Lowman sit six feet apart during their lunch period.

Eva Bellissimo, Staff Writer

Many students would agree that the best time of the school day is lunchtime. It’s one of the few times during the day when kids can see their friends and not feel obligated to talk about school-related topics. The stress of their AP and Honors classes magically disappears when they sit down with their friends to enjoy 41 minutes together.

But things look different in the lunchroom this year.

The COVID-19 pandemic has made it harder for the juniors and seniors at NASH to enjoy their break from the classroom. Social distancing rules are in full effect during all three lunch periods at NASH.

And although most students have gotten used to the social distancing at stores or restaurants, staying six feet apart from their closest friends at lunch has become quite a struggle. 

Junior Cece Malarky has witnessed numerous difficulties around the cafeteria during lunchtime.

“I think [the distancing rule during lunch] is a bad idea because, despite the attempts to socially distance, most people still fully take off their masks and move closer together,” Malarky said.

Danny Quach, a senior, agrees that lunchtime social distancing has little effect in preventing illness.

“I don’t like it,” he said. “There isn’t a real point to it because everyone moves closer to their friends and by the end of lunch, everyone is sitting just inches away from each other.”

Nevertheless, some students understand that social distancing needs to continue to be enforced. 

“I definitely don’t like the social distancing seats,” junior Lauren Wilhelm said, “but I think it will be worth it in the long run. It’s just something we have to do.” 

Cole Bordo, a junior, agrees with the statement that sitting six feet apart is a necessity to stopping, or at least slowing down, the spread of the disease.

“As much as I don’t like the way we have to sit at lunch, I get that everyone is just trying to keep us and each other safe,” he said.

Ms. Finch, a lunch monitor for period 7, commends the student body for their attempts to follow social distancing guidelines.

“It has not been too difficult to social distance because, in general, we have nice students who follow the rules and understand it is what has to be done in order to go to school in-person,” Finch said.

One of the precautions the school has taken to try to keep students six feet apart is placing green tape where they are allowed to sit. Finch thinks it is a smart choice, even though some students have found ways around the green tape system.

“I do think the green tape helped to separate kids on the first day or so,” she said. “As I walk around now, I have to tell kids to separate because they are too close, claiming that the tape was ‘moved.’” 

As of now, there are no plans in the works to change lunchtime distancing regulations, so students are settling in for a socially distanced year.