Court Clout

Kayla Dinkins rises to a league of her own

Josie Wadlow, Editor-in-Chief

North Allegheny Girls’ Volleyball is what some may call a prestigious team. There are those who get cut from the team, though they might stand a chance of starting for other schools.  There are those who are skilled enough to make the team but may never set foot on the court. And, of course, there are those who make the team and the starting lineup. And the headlines.

Top-notch senior player Kayla Dinkins falls decidedly in that last category.

Dinkins has only known success during her high school career, leading her team this year to an undefeated season and the WPIAL playoffs.  Her previous seasons have seen playoff berths as well.  Among the many talented girls on the team, Dinkins will advance to an even higher level. She was granted with a full ride scholarship to Tulane University and chose to commit this past year.

“I had offers from Akron, Dayton, and Tulane, but I chose Tulane University because of Zoology,” Dinkins said. “I want to be a Zoologist when I am older and Tulane offers the major.”

Dinkins’ parents and club coach, Lynda Scahill, were especially supportive during her decision making.

“They helped me know how the process works, how to talk to coaches, and what to look for in the school,” Dinkins said. “I suggest to anyone looking to play in college to have a coach or parent who can help. I also suggest that you have an idea of what you are going to major in so you know what to look for when you are choosing colleges.”

Putting aside the natural skill, part of what helped Dinkins receive a full offer was her seven years of playing. She plays both school and club volleyball at Pittsburgh Elite Volleyball Association. The Middle Hitter has lead her team to Nationals the past two years and placed 3rd in the nation this past summer.  The acquired skills from Pittsburgh Elite and the experiences created from two years of nationals will be crucial to her and her school team’s chances of making it far in playoffs.

“Our team is doing really good this year,” Dinkins said. “We work together better than last year’s team and have young blood on the floor. It is an advantage not only to us because they are good, but an advantage for them because they are getting more practice for upcoming years.”

And with the girls remaining undefeated, they are projected to make it far into playoffs.

“We are all around good,” Dinkins said. “We have strong defense and offense. We are also consistent. This is why we are able to beat the teams we beat.”

NA Head Coach Heidi Miller has delighted in witnessing Dinkins’ mastery on the court. states,

“Kayla has helped our team be successful this season not just with her volleyball play, but with her ability to bring chemistry to our team through her personality, infectious smile, and sense of humor,” Miller said. “She is a dominating force on the court with a powerful swing and an impressive block.  She gives us a lift with a huge kill or stuff block at critical times.  She is a player that fans come to watch.”

Yet, despite all of the individual accolades, Dinkins kept her focus on the team.

“At the moment we have no competition,” she said. “The only thing that could get in our way is ourselves.”