In a Different Light

Blue light glasses have become very popular in recent years.

photo by Eva Bellissimo

Staring at screens all day can be harmful to the eyes. Blue light glasses could be the solution.

Eva Bellissimo, Staff Writer

Technology plays a huge role in our everyday lives—there’s no doubt about that. It’s everywhere we look, and we depend on it for so many different things.

Especially during this pandemic, things like phones, computers, and tablets have been great tools to help us navigate through all the craziness of the past year. We have needed these high-tech gadgets now more than ever, and even though there are many benefits to having access to these technologies, they may be taking a toll on our health. 

Of course, the technology we have is vital and we use it all the time, but now we have something to worry about with these gadgets. 

Within the devices we use, there are blue wavelengths mostly known as “blue light.” Blue light can affect us if we stare at different technology all day long. It can throw off the body’s internal clock, cause headaches, and prevent sleep at night. 

Since many hours of our days rely on access to electronic devices, we need something to hopefully lessen these effects. Fortunately, scientists have created glasses that block the harmful light from our electronic devices, and they’re quickly picking up traction.

It’s difficult to go from staring at school laptops all day and then going home to do hours of homework on the same laptop. Because of this, many students have purchased pairs of these glasses, with the hopes of stopping the dangerous effects of blue light. 

I wear them all the time, especially when doing homework.

— Nolan Colinear, junior

I love my blue light glasses,” said junior Nolan Colinear. “I wear them all the time, especially when doing homework. I don’t have any headaches or anything.”

Because of their popularity, blue light glasses are getting easier to purchase. Stores like Target and Amazon sell them in numerous styles and for low prices.

I do like the glasses, but they do not really do too much for me,” said junior Cece Malarky. “I guess they help a little.”

Many agree with Malarky, noting that the glasses don’t make a huge impact on day-to-day life.

“I think they do help a little bit,” said junior Lauren Wilhelm. “I don’t really see a huge difference, but I do feel like my eyes are at least a little less strained when I wear them compared to when I do not.”

Although the effects of the glasses may not be noticeable yet, no one really knows the long-term impact technology has on our eyes. Blue light glasses may just be the hidden savior.