Distinguished Riffs

Greg Joseph and Robert James, founding members of the rock group The Clarks, were honored by the NA Foundation at the 2021 Distinguished Alumni gala.

image courtesy of North Allegheny Foundation

Greg Joseph (left) and Robert James (right) were honored with the North Allegheny Foundation 2021 Distinguished Alumni Award in the Arts category.

Michaela Golik, Staff Writer

During a virtual ceremony in late January, the North Allegheny Foundation awarded graduates with the 2021 Distinguished Alumni Award. The award recognizes alumni who have made significant contributions to society or have had notable professional accomplishments.

It is presented to alumni with accomplishments in the following categories: arts, business, community service, education, government, law, medicine, or science. The NA Foundation also honors winners of the Spirit of NA and 40 and Under awards. 

This year, the Distinguished Alumni Award in the Arts category went to Greg Joseph and Robert James, members of the rock band The Clarks. Joseph recently spoke with The Uproar about his time at NA and his experience as a professional musician.

“To be honored for any accolade is a humbling experience. So, I thank NA teacher, Mrs. Sharon Volpe, for putting together the applications for Rob and me,” Joseph said. “NA is one of the best school districts in the country with a lot of talented alumni. It is a blessing.”

Joseph graduated from North Allegheny in 1981. His favorite memories from his time here involve the soccer team and the friends he made throughout his teenage years.

“Soccer played a huge role in my life at that age,” he said. “But I have to add that my friendships at the time were invaluable. I still communicate with a lot of my high school friends.”

His favorite class was Visual Communications, where students learned about architecture drawing, drafting, and silkscreen painting. The course gave Joseph the opportunity to showcase his creativity, which is clearly one of his strengths.

Joseph didn’t study music at NASH, but he did enjoy his basic music classes in earlier grades. He didn’t learn to play guitar until he attended college. He also knows how to play the mandolin and harmonica.

Despite his talent, Joseph admitted, “I still don’t know how to read music. I play by ear.” 

He became interested in music because of his older brother and sisters, who always had a lot of albums around the house. After listening to his siblings’ favorite albums, he picked up a new favorite hobby: air guitar.

He dreamt of playing a real instrument, but he did not become more passionate about music until his college years when the band formed.

Left to right: Greg Joseph,
Scott Blasey, Robert James, and
David Minarik, Jr.

After graduating high school, Joseph majored in Communications Media at IUP. 

While at IUP, he envied his dormmates that were musicians. During his freshman year at college, a friend on his dorm floor played guitar. Joseph loved hanging with him and singing along.

“My mom put $175 in my bank account so I could purchase my first guitar,” he recalled.

His friend went with him to the Indiana Music House to help him pick out a guitar, and the rest is history.  He taught himself to play and has been passionate about music ever since.

The four original members of The Clarks met at IUP in 1986.

They are Scott Blasey (vocals, acoustic guitar), Rob James (six and twelve-string electric guitars, vocals), Greg Joseph (bass, vocals), and David Minarik, Jr. (drums, vocals). The original members are now joined by fellow touring mates Gary Jacob, Skip Sanders, and Noah Minarik.

When recalling how the band began, Joseph said, “Rob brought us all together. He was intent on being in a band playing original music.”

All of the original members still remain part of The Clarks, and they’ve been playing together for 35 years now. 

Some of The Clarks’ popular songs include “Penny on the Floor,” “Better Off Without You,” and “Born Too Late.” Joseph’s favorite original song is “Feathers & Bones,” which is about his mother-in-law, who had Alzheimer’s Disease. Up until her passing, she lived with Joseph and his wife.

Over the course of the last 35 years, the band has released eleven studio albums. They’ve scored major label record deals, national touring and airplay, and song placements in television and movies.

Joseph noted that his parents have influenced him the most as a musician.

“They always allowed me to pursue my dreams and goals, whether it was sports or music,” he said, commenting on how they’ve supported him every step of the way. His parents have enjoyed encouraging Joseph on his musical journey and watching The Clarks gain success over the years.

Additionally, Joseph says he wouldn’t be where he is today without the support and love of his wife.

“She has always supported and pushed me to work hard at my profession,” he said.

When asked what advice he’d give to aspiring musicians, Joseph said, “It’s never too late to start, and you never know who you will meet along the way to push your artistry to the top. Sometimes dreams aren’t predicted, sometimes you take a darkly lit path and follow it to see where it goes.”