In Slow Motion

Phys Ed teacher Mrs. Winters has incorporated Tai Chi into her lessons this year as a way of teaching her students ways to relax their bodies and focus their minds.

World Tai Chi Day, Nova Parks

Sophia Caruso, Senior Staff Writer

In some of the most unprecedented times, it is no surprise that North Allegheny teachers are going above and beyond to help their students. Physical Education teacher Mrs. Winters, in particular, has been working with her students to keep them active during this pandemic. 

With few places to go and little to do, it is quite easy to fall into the same routine. A majority of students have become engulfed by the habits created during quarantine, but Winters has added a unit to her gym classes to give students something new to try — Tai Chi. 

“I first learned about Tai Chi from a professor of mine back in college,” she said. “I was then re-introduced to Tai Chi in 2010 during a training for Pilates.” 

Tai Chi is an ancient practice that many people are unaware of. It has been around for almost 2,500 years, originating from qigong, which consists of slow, flowing movements. There are many benefits of practicing Tai Chi.

In physical education class, I teach the Tai Chi principles of warming, breathing, releasing, and focusing,” Winters said.

Winters has taken extra steps to encourage her students in the practice.

“I think students enjoy it because I use music and simple moves and choreography that are easy to catch on to,” she said.

Above all for Winters, Tai Chi is an engaging activity that helps students feel more relaxed throughout the day, an especially important benefit during a difficult year.