The Vaccine Scene

COVID vaccines are now available to students at NASH.

photo by Claire Majerac

A pharmacist from Giant Eagle fills up a vaccine with the Pfizer-BioNTech solution.

Claire Majerac, Staff Writer

When she heard that COVID-19 vaccines were now available to students at NASH, senior Nancy Wilkins did not delay.

“I think it’s definitely a good idea,” she said. “It’s a smart move for the district.”

On Wednesday, May 5th, all NASH students (aged 16 and older) were able to make an appointment to get a vaccination for COVID-19 at the Baierl Center. NASH partnered with supermarket chain Giant Eagle to provide vaccines for students, but the opportunity was especially beneficial for seniors. 

“If they get the first dose at the Baierl Center on May 5th, they will get the second dose three weeks later on May 26th,” explained NASH Nurse Sherry Stamp.

But besides being a timely opportunity for students to get vaccinated, the campus vaccination clinic will allow seniors to attend special events regardless of quarantines.

“Fourteen days after that second dose [June 9th], they’re considered fully vaccinated,” Stamp said. “Even if they are exposed, they’re not subject to quarantine.”

With the biggest senior event—graduation—just weeks away, getting fully vaccinated is the way to have a guaranteed spot.

“It’s kind of the Golden Ticket to go to graduation,” Stamp added. “Otherwise, if you were in school and you were exposed to somebody, you would have to quarantine, and you would not be able to attend [graduation].”

As for masks being a part of graduation, Nurse Stamp is sure they will be implemented.

“I know the CDC has changed their guidelines saying that outside, you’re not required to wear a mask [if fully vaccinated],” she said. “I would think because there’s going to be a large number of people there, the prudent thing would be to still have people masking.”

The partnership with Giant Eagle has created overwhelmingly positive opinions regarding vaccination at North Allegheny at all high school levels. 

Avery Neely, a freshman at NAI likes the idea but wishes she could get vaccinated as well.

“I’ll be 16 in October,” she said, “but if I was 16 now, I would get it at NASH.”

Students aged 16 and older, who were more passionate about getting a vaccine, went to great lengths to get one but are now liking the idea of more and more people having access. 

“It would be a lot more accessible for me,” said Neely, “and since more and more people are getting it, I think it’s more accessible to those who were hesitant in the first place.”

An image of the waiting area for patients after receiving their vaccine. (photo by Claire Majerac)

This clinic was not a spur-of-the-moment decision by the district administration—it took time and planning. 

“It’s been in the works for a long time,” said Bridgett Bilenski, NA Health Services Chairperson. “Finally, because of the availability of the vaccines, we were able to work with Giant Eagle.”

Bilenski also alluded to the possibility of working with UPMC within the next few weeks.

“After phase 1A opened up in January, we started working [on it],” explained Joe Sciullo, Director of Student Services at NA.

Feedback from parents and students alike has been consistently positive, according to the two administrators.

“We’ve gotten a lot of positive feedback,” Sciullo said. “’Thank you for making it available so close to home’ has been the biggest feedback.”

Reports say that the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine will be confirmed for younger children by the FDA soon, but even when the new approval comes in for kids aged 12-15, North Allegheny intends on wasting no time in expanding the clinic. 

“We’ve already been in communication with another vaccine provider,” Sciullo said excitedly. “If they approve it, we should be able to have a second clinic that encompasses that age range by the end of May.”

For Bilenski, such an expansion will be a smart move.

“It would have a big impact on our middle schools, too, since they’re twelve and up,” Bilenski said.

Administrators at the clinic discussed the concept of “cocooning,” which would create an effect similar to herd immunity. Essentially, cocooning gives the vaccine to people who are able to get it, and then provides security to those who cannot get it. 

As graduation approaches, Wilkins is all the more confident that she’ll be able to complete her final high school milestone.

“I’m really excited to see more people at graduation safely,” she said.