All’s Well(s) for NAGS

Soccer junior Lucia Wells is on pace to break her goal-scoring record and lift the girls’ team to another WPIAL title.

Junior+Lucia+Wells+dribbles+past+two+defenders+to+get+a+shot+off+on+goal.+

photo by Lori Heim

Junior Lucia Wells dribbles past two defenders to get a shot off on goal.

Halle Marsalis, Staff Writer

This 2021 fall season is heavy with expectations, as the North Allegheny Girls’ Soccer team fights for their third-straight WPIAL championship title. And with Lucia Wells on the field, the team is as confident as ever.

The team’s top goal scorer so far this season, Wells is a talented forward and midfielder who instinctively looks for new ways to control the game and guide her team to yet another victory.  She hugely impacts the game with her ability to dribble through defenders and get shots on goal. 

Teammate and junior soccer player Anna Bundy grew up playing on the same team as Wells. 

“I loved playing with Lucia,” Bundy said. “We have been playing together since we were younger and our chemistry is great. She makes soccer fun.” 

Wells has been playing soccer for most of her life. Other than the occasional week off in the summer, there is really no “off-season” for her. After high school season, she goes straight into club season, where she plays for the Pittsburgh Riverhounds 2005 Girls ECNL Team. 

“I love playing for both the North Allegheny Girls’ Soccer Team and the Pittsburgh Riverhounds. They both have helped me develop into the player I am today,” Wells said.   

Her love for the sport sparked when she was young. Wells began playing when she was just four years old, along with many other sports like basketball, gymnastics, and softball. However, her speed made her excel in the game of soccer.

“I mainly picked soccer as my sport because I was very fast growing up, and soccer allowed me to be able to use my speed,” Wells said. “I have also made some amazing friends on my teams, which made me want to keep playing with them.”   

Her technical footwork and quickness allow her to outshine her opponents.  She seems to know what she is going to do with the ball before it even gets to her.

Wells is not just a varsity starter. Her technical footwork and quickness allow her to outshine her opponents. She seems to know what she is going to do with the ball before it even gets to her. Nobody wants to defend her, and her passion for the sport motivates her to keep looking for ways to improve.  

Playing varsity soccer at NA since her freshman year, Wells constantly dominates on the field with her technicality, while always looking to score. She hopes to break her goal-scoring record each year.  

“My freshman year I had eight goals on varsity, my sophomore year I had twenty goals, and this year so far I have scored three,” she said. “However, I am constantly looking to improve my goal-scoring record each year.”

As one of the leading scorers this year, she strives to not only lead the girls’ team to their third consecutive WPIAL title but to also return to Hershey Park for the second time in NA Girls’ Soccer history. This year, Wells and her team are hungry for redemption– to win states. 

“We have started out the season really strong and won all of our games. I feel like with this team and all the effort everyone puts in we can win WPIALs again,” she said. “I even think we have a chance to go back to Hershey Park to win states.”

Last year, the girls lost in overtime during the state championship game, but this year things are different. 

“I think we have a really good chance to win,” Wells said. “It definitely won’t be easy, but based on our first couple games we for sure will have a chance.”

Wells hopes to continue her student-athlete journey after high school. As she enters her junior year, she is looking to play competitive soccer in college. 

“I would love to play at the D1 level,” she said. 

Wells’s aspirations are well within her abilities. With her motivation, technicality, speed, and goal-scoring record, it would be foolish to underestimate her.