RANTS & RAVES

Ms.+Rosato+sits+down+with+Pavle+Djokic+to+talk+about+college+plans.+Ms.+Rosato+and+her+colleagues+are+holding+monthly+counselor+chats+with+students+and+parents.+

photo by Lea Hendricks

Ms. Rosato sits down with Pavle Djokic to talk about college plans. Ms. Rosato and her colleagues are holding monthly counselor chats with students and parents.

Anya Soller, Opinions Editor

RANTS

It has come to my attention that someone has been leaving fruit all over the staircase closest to the Arts hallway. At first I thought the orange slice I slipped on was left there by accident. The second time I stepped on a grape, I was sure it was a coincidence. The third time I nearly fell down the stairs due to a cartoonish banana peel, I knew something nefarious was afoot. Whoever is leaving fruit on the stairs, I have only one word for you: why? Why do this? To students, faculty, and custodial staff? Rethink your motives.

Recently, my friend tried to purchase a soda from one of the school’s vending machines. Upon realizing she couldn’t find a suitable choice, she pressed the “change” button and promptly received her two dollars back. Two dollars purely in nickels, that is. The majority of NASH’s vending machines have recently fallen into disrepair. Whether they are under-stocked, programmed incorrectly, or prone to dispensing forty nickels to users, vending machines give nothing but frustration and flat Mountain Dew Code Red to the students of NASH.

On a more serious note, NASH clubs overload the hallways and staircases with posters advertising the latest fundraiser or meeting bulletin. Charity and extracurricular activities are by no means a problem, but the omnipresence of neon butcher paper indicates a deeper issue. NASH clubs, like Student Council, Key Club, Thon, SADD, etc., could be combining their efforts to promote projects instead of spreading student resources too thin. With more emphasis on meaningful causes, participation in charity drives could skyrocket and help promote correspondence between organizations.

RAVES

Mr. Kreider’s student birthday tweets have, on multiple occasions, been my sole reminder for a friend’s birthday. Had it not been for these tweets, I could have completely forgotten to order that gift on Amazon and wish the birthday person a happy day. My talent for giving perfect gifts would too often be squandered without these helpful announcements.

The Counseling Office’s most recent push to provide personalized help for students makes its second appearance on December 1: Counselor Chats. The college admissions and career planning process can put insane pressure on teenagers, so the diligent work of NASH’s counselors to help does not go unnoticed. Anytime a student needs help, the Counseling Office has its doors wide open. That welcoming policy is beyond helpful and much appreciated.

The winter concerts of North Allegheny’s music organizations are coming up! Chorus, Orchestra, and Band concerts are a great opportunity to support fellow students and enjoy the performing arts for free. Even if you are unable to attend the concerts in person, live video of the events are graciously offered on the NASH homepage.