Loud and Proud

GSA gives voice to awareness and tolerance

Katelyn Steigerwald, Junior Class Editor

As the first semester comes to a close, GSA is making it their mission to provide NASH students with a welcoming, safe, and supportive escape within the building. The group has implemented a display on the second floor to raise student awareness and provide a closer look at the LGBTQ community in our midst.

The Gender and Sexuality Alliance is a group for not only LGBTQ students but anyone looking for an outlet to discuss their thoughts about related topics. The group’s goal is to educate the NASH student body on LGBTQ issues and advocate on behalf of them.

This year yields a flurry of new changes to the base of the organization including a new staff sponsor and new student leadership. Club President Rozz Monnin and Vice-President Connor Foran are considering new ways to make a difference in the school environment. With the help of other student members, they are truly making an impactful difference in NASH life.

“While these two are our titular leaders, the organization is extremely democratic and grassroots,” Staff Sponsor David West said. “All voices are heard and all opinions are welcome.”

One of the new ideas the club is focused on this year is the GSA Wall outside room 252 on the second floor. The wall features relevant LGBTQ news, local events, hotlines, and other opportunities to help out or get help. Various articles, photos, statistics, and small moments all play a part in this meaningful display. It will be updated regularly throughout the year with the latest information.

“We want to be an informative, convenient, and discrete means of supplying information and resources for all,” West added.

The group also plans to host guest speakers and plan new field trips in the coming months. In all, the group’s mission is to bridge the gap between the LGBTQ issues at hand and North Allegheny students.