Seven Down, One to Go

For the Class of 2022, the final semester has arrived, bringing a mix of joy, fear, and plain old boredom.

photo by Jess Daninhirsch

Seniors Concetta Bochicchio and Morgan Nash enjoy one of their last art classes left before the second semester begins. The second semester marks the last couple of months seniors have before graduation.

Sally Cho, Co-Editor-in-Chief

A new semester is upon NASH, and for the seniors, it is their last.  Thoughts of graduation and college are on the horizon, and this last semester will be filled with college decisions, end-of-the-year events, and goodbyes to everything and everyone they have known for the past twelve years.

Senior Hannah Shin wants to make the most of this last semester.

“The realization that the second semester brings about how little time is left at NA propels me to work even harder to leave as positive of an impact as possible here,” she said. “I’m especially excited about how fun planning big upcoming events, especially TigerTHON here at NASH and the PA DECA State Conference in Hershey, is.”

For seniors who were accepted through early decision to college, there are ambiguous feelings about already knowing what their next four years will look like.

“It comes in waves, but I feel sincerely lucky and grateful. I think once you get in, it’s really weird. You’re so removed from the entire admissions process,” said senior Victoria Ren, who was accepted into Stanford University through early decision. “It’s not that it doesn’t feel real, but it’s hard to imagine that for the next four years I’ll be in California or I’ll just be away from Pittsburgh where I’ve grown up.”

For other seniors, although being done with college applications brings about relief, having to wait until March for decisions is anxiety-inducing in itself.

“It’s a relief to be done, but I’m not looking forward to waiting a couple months for a response,” senior Ryan Podnar said.

Some seniors, who are applying to special programs such as music, must audition for schools in addition to regularly applying, bringing about additional stress for the second semester.

“Having to navigate academics while simultaneously working on all that goes into auditioning and choosing a school that’s a good fit is difficult, and has definitely taken a toll on me during what is supposed to be the most carefree year of high school,” senior Hannah Oldham said. “However, I’m ecstatic to pursue music, and I think that excitement makes the work worthwhile. I know that the work will pay off, even if it’s a lot to handle right now.”

Despite the anxieties, there is no doubt that the second semester of senior year brings fun and relaxation, as there is less academic pressure with college applications out of the way, and more incentive to enjoy what little time there is left in high school.

“I’m looking forward to enjoying everything a little more,” senior Dillon Ferraro said. “I feel like now I can just have fun with the things that used to be stressful.”

Senior Bri Cobbey feels excited about becoming a second semester senior.

“It’s scary leaving everything that’s familiar to you behind, but I think it’s exciting to start a new chapter in your life where you’ll get to experience new things,” she said.

However, senior Gloria Wang feels that not much has changed.

“I think it’s a little underwhelming honestly,” she said. “I’m definitely excited to have all the end-of-the-year stuff like Prom and the Senior Banquet, but it doesn’t really feel that different.”

Despite the mixed bag of feelings, there is a general consensus that the second semester of senior year involves reflecting on and being grateful for the people and experiences the past four years has brought, and enjoying the last couple months the best one can.

“Something that I’m worried about is just anticipating so much for the next four years that I kind of forget the things I want to do and the people I want to talk to during the second semester,” Ren said. “I’m trying to focus on being able to share how thankful I am to all the people, things, and moments that have remarkably shaped my life.”