Congrats, Grad!

Many seniors are planning in advance to throw their dream graduation parties.

Seniors+and+families+prepare+to+throw+a+graduation+party.+

Greenvelope

Seniors and families prepare to throw a graduation party.

Halle Marsalis, Staff Writer

As senior year is coming to a close, talk about graduation parties fill the air. Many students at NASH are hosting parties this summer to celebrate their accomplishment of graduating high school. Families and friends gather to say their farewells and good-lucks before the student heads off for the next chapter in life. 

Each graduation party is different. Some provide food trucks, some invite only family and or friends. Some are at parks, while others are at the graduate’s house. It takes lots of preparation, so planning usually starts months prior. 

Graduation is a big moment for high school seniors, and many families want to celebrate that. Some have been thinking about graduation parties since freshman year. It is a time to get gifts, say goodbye to friends and family, and, of course, have fun. 

Many seniors incorporate family traditions or backgrounds into their party. Senior Annie Mellinger has been thinking about her graduation party for a while. Her family is Croatian, so she is planning to incorporate Croatian food into her party. 

“I am having a relatively big party with both family and friends,” Mellinger said. “We are having Croatian food and the regular graduation party food such as chicken and pasta.”

Meals are a big part of graduation parties; most have food trucks or caterers to serve the food and beverages. Senior Jacob Yarosz is planning a bigger graduation party while serving one of his favorite foods.

“I am planning on having a bigger party to allow for many of my friends and family to attend,” he said. “The party is at my house and I am planning on having basic barbecue food, so everyone can have something they’d like.” 

At graduation parties, there are usually many fun activities to partake in. 

“At my graduation party I am planning to have corn-hole, spikeball, and giant jenga,” senior Briona Rice said. 

Traditions, family-friendly games, and food tend to be the most important aspects of planning a graduation party. 

“I am having a graduation party because I want to see my friends one last time and get some money to save up for college,” Senior Niko Raketich said.

Students tend to look forward to receiving money from family and friends at their graduation party to either save up for college or put the money towards something college-related. 

On the other hand, senior Ava Hutchinson is not having a graduation party. She and her dad are instead traveling out west for a family vacation. 

“I am not having a graduation part because it is so much work and preparation to plan everything,” she said. “I decided to put the money towards a vacation. I am going on a west coast trip with my dad!”

Some students decide to put the graduation party money towards an awesome vacation either with family or friends. Most seniors find some way to celebrate their graduation, whether it is a fun vacation or a party.