NASH hosts Activity Fair

Showcasing extracurricular activities available to students, the fair was a success for club officers.

Kat Klinefelter

DECA officers Max Goggans, Amogh Paruvelli, and Amsu Yallalacheruvu promote their club at last Friday’s Activity Fair.

Olivia Shubak, Staff Writer

Last Friday, a new event swept across the cafeteria floor. The NASH Activity Fair took place during all lunch periods with an exciting turnout of interested students. NASH has more than 80 different clubs, with more being added each year. 

On the perimeter of the cafeteria, a variety of clubs set up stands with information and QR codes, allowing students to easily express interest. Representatives from each club were available to answer any questions and describe what their club is all about.

Clubs at NASH cover a multitude of topics and areas of interest, including music, writing, acting, dance, language, culture, photography, science, business, and even origami. There’s also a large focus on volunteering and service, an attractive prospect for many students.

One such club is Interact Club. NASH GOAL teacher Janellen Lombardi, who sponsors the club, said, “Interact is a service organization that meets once a month to do service projects for the school community and world. Students also participate in outside service opportunities associated with the Rotary.”

There’s also the Red Cross Club, which was formed last year. Secretary Naisha Kiladar said, “The Red Cross Club is a volunteering opportunity that hosts blood drives and fundraisers for local communities, and there are also donation drives.” 

Another club that is making an important difference is Best Buddies. Co-Sponsor Rachel Tengowski said, “Best Buddies is an organization where we are looking on creating inclusivity and friendships between our students who are with and without intellectual and developmental disabilities.” 

Clusters of students surrounded the table hosted by the FCCLA Club, an organization that senior Julia Berger manages.

“We used to be multiple clubs and we all combined under a national organization called FCCLA,” Berger said. “It stands for Family, Career and Community Leaders of America. We are a leadership-based organization that focuses on fashion, baking, and other topics. So if you think of Family Consumer Science class, it’s like a club for that.” 

Berger also talked about the opportunities that the club offers, which have sparked much interest, especially this year.

“We have something called Star Events, which is a national competition that you can be a part of when you are in the club,” Berger said. “You can compete in different categories, such as entrepreneurship, business, fashion, culinary, and child development. There are just a wide variety of different interests that you can compete in.”

Across the cafeteria floor at the Multicultural Student Union, president Elise Britton eagerly promoted her organization.

“MSU is basically just a club where people have very different backgrounds, races, ethnicities, and cultures,” Britton said. “Everyone can just get together in a safe space and get to know more about each other and ourselves.” 

Junior Mely Moreno was among the students in search of a club that fits her interests.

“I just joined Social Justice Club,” she said. “I’ve never seen a club that’s so inclusive and open to everyone. It’s also involved with real-life issues, which I like.“

Clubs and activities are a great way to pursue an interest, meet new people, and find a sense of community both in and out of school. With the wealth of offerings here at NASH, there’s practically something for everyone.