Playing the Admissions Game

College apps are as much about hysteria as they are about hope

Zachary Ehling, Culture Editor

At long last, the process is close to complete. Applications have been finalized, test scores have been sent, and NA seniors are finally able, at least momentarily, to breathe a sigh of relief. The stress of writing, submitting, and fretting over supplemental materials required for college applications is over.

As a senior who has had time to digest the process of applying to college, I believe it is now appropriate for some reflection that will provide parents and future NA seniors with insight as to how seniors feel throughout this now-stale exercise. What are my opinions now that the hysteria of college apps is coming to an end? How has completing—and, more importantly, enduring—such a process changed my opinions on the importance of being accepted into an elite university?

As a disclaimer, I realize that my own experiences and opinions have been formed from personal thought-processes, individual goals, and a background that is (at least in some aspects) drastically different from my peers. I have grown up in a multicultural household, having only my father as a reference for applying to American universities, as my Mum was born in Australia and could offer little guidance to an admissions process significantly different from her own.

Despite the lack of familiarity with necessary requirements at home, though, I was always encouraged by both my parents to set my goals high and aim for academically elite universities in the US.

It soon became apparent at the beginning of senior year, though, that even a strong mindset could not prevent me from feeling at least a little pressured by the college hysteria that was gripping many of my peers.

I suppose I was also lucky in that, although my parents encouraged me to aim high, they were adamant that I would receive a good education anywhere. Sure, the renowned Ivy League schools, the Stanfords, and the Dukes were all great if I got in, but as long as I continued to work like I was working I would be able to achieve anything I set my mind to. I was determined to have this as my mindset throughout all of my applications and therefore selected six schools: a mix of reach and and safety, any of which I would be happy to attend.

Whether it was influenced by the rush of competition or not—I like to believe that my choice was logical rather than based on the actions of others—I decided to apply to one of my reach schools as Restrictive Early Action. I figured that, although this institution was notorious for its extremely selective admissions office, I would play my best hand and see where my cards might take me.

Jump forward to mid-December, and I was deferred from the university to which I had applied Restrictive Early Action. Although I promised myself that I would have no regrets with my decisions I made regarding my applications, the deferral did cause me to second-guess myself having so many “reach” schools on my application list.

The final weeks of 2017 were my most stressful time, as I felt pressured from my deferral to submit all my other applications as well as four more safe schools. While most of my original applications were ready to be submitted, the act of checking over and over to make sure they were ready before the deadline was exhausting.

But now it is over. Looking back, I find it hard to believe that such a process has been so drawn out and inflated, so very bloated, from what it needed to be. Being exposed to the societal pressures of entering an elite university is arduous and exhausting, something that should not be thought of as a necessity for future success.

Yet being subjected to students constantly finding fault with peers behind their backs based on their own activities/academic performance has left me jaded. I am finished with hearing gossip of how one student is surely going to an Ivy because of his bizarre connection with a coach, while another student with a walk-on-water resume has no chance at UChicago because of his failure to get above a 33 ACT. I am done with hearing of kids having others write their college essays for them, of feeling a sense of trepidation that my honest applications will be overlooked for peers who have stretched the truth, and even fully lied, in their applications. In essence, I’m tired of the b.s.

While I realize that applying to college is a senior’s rite of passage and an exciting first step towards a new stage of life, future parents and seniors should try to keep a level head. I have no regrets on the decisions that I made, and although I have made gambles that have not paid off, I realize that it is all experience. Don’t be bitter and twisted at what has not worked out, but rather work hard to maximize whatever is around the corner.

Enduring college admissions has its ups and downs, yet ultimately it is something everyone has to experience. But it should not be as hysterical as it actually is. As long as students keep a level head and work hard through their endeavours, it will be okay.