Alumni to be honored at inaugural gala

Eight distinguished alumni will be recognized for superior achievements

Sofia Ackerman, Copy Editor

We are all aware of North Allegheny’s prestigious nature, but this tradition of excellence is not confined to the past few years.  In fact, NA’s influence stretches far beyond the district itself.  That’s why the North Allegheny Foundation has named nine graduates “Distinguished Alumni,” women and men who have made a difference not only in their communities but around the world, as is the case with NASA astronaut candidate Warren “Woody” Hoburg ’04.

The alumni will be officially recognized and honored at the first-ever Distinguished Alumni Awards Gala on January 25 at the DoubleTree by Hilton in Mars, PA.

“The Distinguished Alumni Awards were established to both recognize the outstanding accomplishments of North Allegheny Alumni and create a path for those alumni to mentor NASH students,” Foundation Executive Director Abigayle Tobia said.  “As the program grows, we hope to see increased personal and professional connections among NA alumni.”

On January 26th, the nine alumni will return to NASH to mentor current juniors and seniors. Students and teachers will have the opportunity to attend focus groups to interact with the alumni based on the field they may be interested in .

“North Allegheny has a tradition of excellence, and these alumni have exhibited that excellence through their accomplishments since graduating from North Allegheny,” Superintendent Dr. Robert Scherrer said. “We are looking forward to welcoming these individuals back to North Allegheny to celebrate their achievements.”

Among the nine honorees is Laura Ditka, ’81, Chief Deputy Attorney General for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania,

“It is such an honor to be considered distinguished in a high school community as large as North Allegheny where so many have gone on to do great things,” Ditka said. “I think the energy of the large student body, the quality of instruction, and the opportunity to participate in an endless choice of activities enables NA students to be well prepared for college and beyond. NA affords all who pass through the district the chance to succeed and be distinguished.”

In addition to Hoburg and Ditka, the gala will recognize Larry Schweiger, ’68, Mark Nordenberg, ’66, Jessica Jackley, ’96, Kimberly Boucek, ’85, Wayne Brinda, ’68, Tom Bowman, ’73, and Robert Hillman, ’70.  More information about the January 25 event can be found here.