On the Ballot

Students ages 18 and older were given the opportunity to register to vote during lunch periods.

Ava DiGiacomo

NASH senior Rourke Kennedy registers to vote during lunch on Thursday. The voter registration table was initiated by junior Collin Wang (right), with the help of seniors Zoe Ky (left) and Georgia Moniaga (center).

Ava DiGiacomo, Staff Writer

As students entered their lunch periods yesterday they were greeted by a table filled with pamphlets about the upcoming election and voting registration. 

As Pennsylvania becomes more of a political battleground, the urgency for a high voter turnout is increasing. With the election just a few weeks away, Collin Wang, a junior at NASH, quickly took action in order to motivate students to register. 

“There is constantly low voter turnout for young people” Wang said, “so I wanted to organize this voter registration drive so that more teenagers and young adults could get the opportunity to vote.”

A study done by Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy reported that while voting turnout for voters aged 18-22 is at an all-time high, young voters still only make up 13% of the turnout, while making up 22% of the voting age population. 

So why are so few students making the choice to make their voices heard in the ballot box?

Many students do not know where to begin.  But while registering to vote may seem like a daunting task, Wang is intent on making it an easy, painless process. 

He also recognizes the importance of his mission.

“Young people are underrepresented and ignored by many policies,” Wang said, “so it is crucial for us to vote to elect politicians who represent our views.”

If interested students missed their opportunity to register during yesterday’s lunch, they may do so today by simply going up to the voter registration desk and scanning a QR code that directs them to a site to verify their personal information. They will then be led to the official online voter registration form for Pennsylvania. Upon completing the form, they are set to arrive at the polls on November 8th. 

Senior Gabriella Cappelloni feels that it is a duty to vote. She registered to vote the day she turned 18. 

“I feel like it is a privilege to be able to vote, so we should never waste an opportunity to use our voice,” Cappelloni said. 

Dennis O’Keefe, the mayor of Franklin Park, encourages all students who are not registered to make use of this opportunity and use their privilege as citizens of the United States. 

“It is important for you to register and vote,” O’Keefe said. “Keep your voice alive by voting for your leaders. Don’t let others decide for you.”