Junioritis: A Lesser-Known Condition

What’s the difference between an itch to move on and a simple lack of work ethic?

Lauren Lentz, Staff Writer

Senioritis, we all know, applies to seniors. Or does it?

Seniors are not the only ones who experience a drop in motivation once the second semester begins. As a junior, I contend that junioritis is a struggle as well and that it’s perhaps even more dangerous than senioritis.

Junior year is known to be one of the most difficult – as well as one of the most important – years in high school. Classes are harder, the workload skyrockets compared to freshman and sophomore years, and grades become more important than ever before.

But when motivation begins to lag, it becomes a serious struggle. With sports and other extra-curricular responsibilities, including SAT/ACT preparation and college planning, it is hard to find the time to put in the extra work. I know I’m not the only junior who feels as if they are sabotaging themselves because they know they could be trying harder than they currently are.

I know I’m not the only junior who feels as if they are sabotaging themselves because they know they could be trying harder than they currently are.

With a nearly two-month stretch of five-day weeks during the bleakest months of the year, the fight grows particularly challenging. 

I can certainly see how seniors are burnt out as well. They’re close to graduation, and it’s likely that many of them are beginning to finalize plans for next year. This may make them feel as if the last few months of high school are not that important.

Junioritis is a different condition altogether.

But regardless of their differences, both the Class of ’23 and the Class of ’24 marches forward, with one eye on a generously long Spring Break in April and another on an early start to summer.