The Pressure Is On

With the arrival of spring sports, the Baseball Team looks to exact their revenge.

Randy Gore

Senior Spencer Barnett pitches in a showdown against Shaler last year.

Manas Kathir, Sports Editor

Spring sports are here, and that means many people are shifting their focus to a team that is facing extreme pressure this year: Varsity Baseball. Last year, the team had a successful regular season, but they were later upset by the Upper St. Clair Panthers in a 1-0 loss. However, the team is determined to bounce back after a disappointing end to their previous season.

Senior outfielder Anthony Varlotta feels confident about the team’s roster this year.

Most of this team has been playing together since we were eight years old. We are a very close team with great chemistry, and we have a fire lit under us after the disappointing ending last season,” Varlotta said. “It would be great to finish my senior year with another WPIAL championship.”

In the 2020-2021 Season, the team finished in first place in the WPIAL and almost capped their season off with a PIAA Championship. They were defeated by LaSalle College in the PIAA Championship 2-1. The seniors now were sophomores during that time, and they hope to reach that type of success with one of their most talented rosters after what was an unexpected defeat last year.

Senior pitcher and infielder Cam Ward feels that the team is capable of a huge run this year.

”Last year, I feel our team just had a completely off day in the playoffs. We just did not show up in the biggest moment, and it cost us. However, it is a new season and a fresh start. We have great players and a great coaching staff. I am truly confident we can reach the WPIAL Championship and possibly compete in the PIAA Championships. We definitely want to end our senior year on a high note,” he said.

The team will kick off their season at Boyce Mayview Park at Upper St. Clair in a rematch of what was the first round of the WPIAL playoffs. This will be a huge test for the Tigers, as the Panthers are one of the favorites to come out on top as the WPIAL champions. A win would mean a lot to the Tigers because it would be revenge after what took place after last year, and it would play a significant role in the seeding of the playoffs.

Senior pitcher and infielder Andrew Hart knows the importance of this game.

”This game is a huge way to show that we are back to get revenge. The loss from last year still stings because we know our playoff loss does not signify how good we truly were. I have my own goals for this season that I want to accomplish, but nothing tops winning the WPIAL Championship and competing at States with my great teammates. I can’t wait for the matchup against Upper St. Clair because it would be a huge statement win,” Hart said.

The Tigers’ matchup against the Panthers will take place on March 24th, and then they will host their home opener against Ft. Leboeuf the next day. The pressure is on, and the team appears ready to pounce.