Homecoming 2023
Behind the Scenes

While students prepare for the night of the dance, the Student Council team has been keeping one step ahead.
adapted from Mike Linnihan/NASA
Students are anticipating the first big dance of the year at NASH.

Between the rush for dresses, suits, flowers, and the planning of pictures and dinner, NASH students are in a frenzy to plan for the Homecoming dance this Saturday. For juniors, this year is their first Homecoming at NASH. For seniors, September 30th is the last Homecoming of their high school career.

While attendees make their own plans, Reilly Spitz, leader of the Student Council Dance Committee said, “My fellow officers, my cabinet heads, and I began planning as far back as June.”

One night, months of planning. The theme, props, decorations, and logistics become a lot more difficult when you’re planning for the whole school.  

“The hardest part of Homecoming preparation is keeping everyone happy while still keeping everything somewhat neutral. Obviously, it’s impossible to make everyone happy all the time, but keeping the students happy and excited about a night they’re going to remember for years to come is a challenge that is important to me,” Spitz said. 

The hardest part of Homecoming preparation is keeping everyone happy while still keeping everything somewhat neutral.

— Reilly Spitz, NASH StuCo

However, as the final countdown to the big night begins, Spitz admitted, “We’re pretty much finished with the planning side of things.”

So, with the planning done and the execution beginning, the StuCo team is in a hurry to not only bring the plans to life, but also to outshine last year.

“Last year’s Homecoming took a lot of building and extra time from our members before the event, so I chose to purchase decorations that would be simpler while still being beautiful,” Spitz said, adding that “juniors and seniors can expect to see an improved Homecoming pep rally and a super fun spirit week leading up to the dance.”

One aspect that some students are skeptical of is this year’s dance theme, Harvest Moon. Spitz addressed those concerns.

“I really am excited about how unique this year’s theme is,” Spitz said. “I’ve never heard of another school planning an event to this theme. I think the theme encompasses a very cozy feel with fall vibes that everyone will love.”

With the student body looking forward to the annual dance, and StuCo in a hurry to finalize the details, Spitz feels confident that everything is falling into place.

“I really think it will be a night to remember,” she said.