Hustle, Hit, and Never Quit

The Girls’ Field Hockey Team continues their season with high hopes.
NA Sports Network
Senior forward Sophie Grafton sets up the attack vs. Allderdice in September.

As the fall sports season continues, the 2023 Girls’ Field Hockey Team is reflecting on their season so far, individually and as a whole. 

“My main goals are for us to make WPIALs and, more importantly, to learn how to play together as one team,” Eliana Jones, a junior defender, said.

The team currently holds a 5-5-2 record, and spirits remain high.

“My favorite part of field hockey is how close the team is with each other and how hype we get before games,” Jones added. 

In their most recent game against Mt. Lebanon, the girls played into overtime for the third time this season. The game ended in a 0-0 draw.

As the final stretch of the season approaches, and additional challenge has presented itself to the squad.

My main goals are for us to make WPIALs and, more importantly, to learn how to play together as one team.

— Eliana Jones, junior defender

“I love field hockey, but some days when it is cold and rainy, going to practice can be hard,” senior forward Isla Abrams said. “Despite bad weather sometimes, it usually always turns out so fun and makes the team closer. It also creates amazing memories.”

For Abrams, the senior season feels all the more special.

“I want to work on making the team one and always being there for each other,” she said. “During games, I want us to work on connecting passes and getting the ball down the field. I think that communication is key when it comes to field hockey. Most of all, I want us to work hard on making it to the championship this year.”

After making it to the WPIAL tournament last year and the year prior, the girls are determined to make it there once again. 

For Jones, the unknowns are not nearly as important as what is certain.

“I do not know exactly how the season will end,” she said, “but I can predict that we will have played hungry no matter what the outcome turns out to be.”

The Tigers will take on Peters Township tonight in a 7:30pm home game at Newman Stadium.