Sheetz Food Review

A food review of the NASH student favorite
Ruby Morris
As probably every NASH students know, Sheetz offers nourishment at the touch of a finger, anytime, any day.

Open 24 hours and 365 days a year, Sheetz is one of the most popular gas stations/convenience stores in Pennsylvania. Whether it is the place students stop on the way home from school to get a quick bite or simply a meeting place with friends to order some snacks, Sheetz is by far one of the top places for NASH students to promptly grab some food. The menu is so large that we limited our review to ten items.

Unsalted Pretzel: 10/10

The Sheetz unsalted pretzel is the perfect savory, but not salty snack. The pretzel comes out warm, wrapped in tin foil, and dripping in butter. It is always freshly baked, and each bite delivers a delightful doughy taste. It is a simple snack, easily paired with any dipping sauce that Sheetz offers, such as honey mustard or melted cheese. It is prepared very quickly, too, which is perfect for an on-the-go snack or a sit-down meal. It will definitely leave you coming back for more.

Strawberry Piña Colada Smoothie: 10/10

If you like piña colada flavor and strawberry drinks, then this is the smoothie for you. It is by far the best one on the Sheetz drink menu, blended perfectly and lacking unblended ice. The smoothie comes with the option of whipped cream and energy boosters. It is also the perfect ratio of strawberry to piña colada. All in all, this smoothie is a go-to order.

Mac ‘N Cheese Bites: 9/10

The crispy outside layer of the mac ‘n cheese bites at Sheetz is the perfect complement to the gooey, warm cheesy inside. The portion size –whether it be a bucket or a bag– is always generous, and they are always served sizzling hot. Each bite-sized triangle is filled with cheesy goodness, making it the perfect combination of texture and taste. The item never leaves a mess either, making it an easy snack to take on the go. The only downside is that they can sometimes take a little longer than other than other foods on the vast menu.

Hash Browns: 8/10

The hash browns are very good, but they do not stand out from other places, such as Dunkin Donuts. They are crispy and seasoned just the right amount, coming with ketchup or a choice of another dipping sauce. They are definitely a favorite when it comes to breakfast food at Sheetz.

French Toast Sticks: 8/10

The cinnamon covered French toast sticks are delectable. They have an array of different dipping sauces, such as cream cheese icing, maple syrup, and caramel sauce. Plenty of sticks come in each order. The only downside to these sticks is that they lack coverage of cinnamon sugar. 

Strawberry Refresher: 6/10

Not terrible, but not great. It mostly tastes like carbonated water since all the strawberry flavoring sits at the bottom of the cup. Even mixing the drink up does not do much. There are plenty of other flavors, such as mango peach and dragonfruit. There are also add-ins such as mango boba. The strawberry refresher most likely will not be ordered by us again.

Hot dog: 5/10

The Sheetz hot dog to some extent tastes similar to any other hot dog, but without the gourmet experience. There is a large variety of toppings, which is perfect if you like to customize your hot dog. The bun is standard. It is almost identical to one you would see at a cookout, so nothing special there. Even though they do not take long to prepare, they somehow manage to have that freshly grilled taste. The hotdogs at Sheetz are definitely a reliable choice for a filling, but quick meal. 

Mozzarella sticks: 5/10

The mozzarella sticks are kind of just in the middle. The cheese is rubber-like and does not have the usual mozzarella cheese pull you would expect. The breading is okay, but some spots are hardly breaded at all. The flavor is decent, but definitely not extraordinary. It can definitely use some more salt or seasoning in general. However, the marinara sauce that comes with the sticks positively enhances the taste. While the mozzarella sticks are edible, they are not an item customers would consider ordering twice.

Fries: 4/10

The fries are not awful, but there are undeniably so many other options that are better. The fries taste bland, almost similar to cardboard, and are under-seasoned. They are virtually flavorless — not even ketchup or nacho cheese sauce can save them. The fries also have a soggy texture at times, but they do come in different amounts such as a bag, cup, or bucket, which is definitely a plus!

Cinnapocketz: 3/10

There is way too much filling, and so thin of an outside. When you first bite into them, there is absolutely no crunch and the scorching hot filling explodes everywhere. The inside of the cinnapocketz is also doughy and can seem uncooked. However, the taste is decent, especially when they are dipped in the cream cheese icing. Overall, save your money for something better like an actual Cinnabon.

While some may enjoy a few of these items more than others, Sheetz definitely provides customers with a wide selection of food. Even though we go to Sheetz on a regular basis, there are so many other tasty foods that we have yet to try on the menu.

2
View Comments (2)
About the Contributor
Lauren Lentz
Lauren Lentz, Senior Staff Writer
Lauren is a senior at NASH and this is her second year writing for The Uproar. She is on the NA gymnastics team. Outside of journalism, Lauren enjoys listening to music and driving around with her friends.

• L

LoneWolff7557Mar 6, 2024 at 8:18 am

I just read that Wawa is coming to Lynchburg. Good! Maybe they can spur Sheetz into improving their food. Sheetz food used to be pretty decent. I loved their breakfast burritos, for example. But, over the past couple of years, the taste and quality have plummeted. A few months ago, I purchased one of their breakfast sausage burritos…expecting it to be as good as it always was. Nope. I don’t know what they gave me, but it tasted like scrapple with powdered eggs. It was awful. It was so bad that I threw it in the trash after just one bite. I even complained about it in a follow up survey Sheetz sent me. Then, thinking maybe it was just a one-off, I tried it again. Nope. It was just as awful as the last time. And it’s not just the breakfast burritos either. Other food items I used to enjoy from Sheetz have suffered as well. Burgers. Chili dogs. All much worse than the past. It has gotten so bad that I no longer consider Sheetz as an option for fast food.

Reply
  • J

JohnDec 25, 2023 at 7:31 pm

These are only opinions. They are all 10/10.

Reply