A New Generation of NASH Voters

As NASH seniors become eligible to vote, a new outlook on American politics and democracy often comes paired with the gained responsibility.
Ruby Morris
Campaign signs at the corner of Oak and Bradford Roads in Bradford Woods.

As the Class of 2024 nears voting age, issues that once seemed to be in the hands of adults are suddenly in the students’ control— to an extent. As this generation gets older, there is a shift in responsibility. Young people are the ones that now have influence on local and national decisions, and soon, they will be the ones drafting up those decisions and sending them to the Congress floor.

But how does this shift in assumed responsibility affect how young voters view our political system and democracy?

For many, the ability to vote comes with mixed feelings.

NASH senior Claire Wahlenmayer feels that voting has opened her eyes to some flaws with the current political state of our nation.

“Having the ability to vote has definitely inspired more interest in current politics. I am happy to be able to participate, but with this responsibility, comes a level of frustration,” Wahlenmayer said. “The lack of representation of younger people in office definitely has become more prevalent, but it made me happy to see that option in this past election on November 7th.”

Senior Gabrielle Stegeman feels similarly. 

“I am happy to be able to participate because I feel like it is my duty. But, at the same time, it is difficult to not feel like I am not making a difference because oftentimes I do not agree with either of the candidates or issues on the ballot,” Stegeman said. “I wish there were more options with views that align with our generation and aren’t painted as either Democrat or Republican issues.”

Others have felt that their relationship with democracy has remained constant since being eligible to vote. 

I’ve seen the struggles of my family to gain citizenship and it is such a privilege to be an American citizen. That’s why I am honored to be able to vote now.

— Shreya Pant, NASH senior

For example, senior Collin Wang has taken an interest in politics and youth involvement for a while. 

“Politics is something that has interested me for years,” Wang said. “I have always made an effort to be involved, whether it be through working the polls or just staying up to date with current events and local politics. Being able to vote is just a bonus.”

And some seniors, such as Shreya Pant, have found that being able to vote has furthered her appreciation for politics in general.

“I believe that as a citizen it is a moral obligation to vote,” she said. “I’ve seen the struggles of my family to gain citizenship and it is such a privilege to be an American citizen. That’s why I am honored to be able to vote now.”

The slow climb to further representation in politics also has Pant feeling quite hopeful.

“On a more local level, it has been such a joy watching as more representative people are running for office and even winning. People of different age groups and ethnic backgrounds help me to slowly trust the political system a bit more.”

While everyone feels differently regarding the importance of politics and voting, the fundamental beauty of democracy lies within the allowance of adults of all ages, beliefs, opinions, and backgrounds to vouch for representation in office, striving for policy enactment that reflects the desires of those using their voices to promote responses from those in power.