Revival of a Storied Program

Pitt’s Men’s Basketball Team exceeded expectations last year. This year, they may do even more.
“University of Pittsburgh Petersen Events Center” by rwoan is licensed under CC BY-NC 2.0.
The Petersen Events Center: Home of Pittsburgh Panthers Basketball

It has been 216 days since UConn defeated San Diego State and cut down the nets in Houston, claiming their fifth national title in program history. But the 2022-23 season brought a revival of college basketball to a local team with a storied history: The Pittsburgh Panthers. 

The Panthers have not seen success ever since Jamie Dixon was coaching and the team was still in the Big East Conference. Last season, Jeff Capel had found the players and mentality to turn the program around. Pittsburgh in the 2022-23 season went 24-12 and 14-6 in ACC play, one win shy of claiming the regular season championship, and the team held a pair of NCAA Tournament wins. Coach Capel hit the transfer portal hard once again, pulling in guard Ishmael Leggett from the University of Rhode Island, forward Zack Austin from High Point University, and guard Michael Hueitt, Jr. from UNC Greensboro. Both Leggett and Austin were in the starting lineup for the season opener against the North Carolina A&T Aggies. Pitt also was able to recruit three four star players in Carlton “Bub” Carrington, Jaland Lowe, and Papa Kante, who unfortunately suffered a knee injury during the offseason and will miss the entire season. Carrington started for the Panthers in the opener. The Panthers returned star forward and leader Blake Hinson ,along with dominant seven-foot center Federiko Federiko. Along with these two starters are the seven -oot tall twins of Guillermo and Jorge Diaz Graham and William Jeffress, who returns from a foot injury. 

The Panthers’ season opener against North Carolina A&T displayed a Pittsburgh team that resembled their old Big East success. Not only did the Panthers steamroll their way to a 100-52 victory over the Aggies, the Oakland Zoo, regarded as one of the most intimidating student sections in college basketball, returned to their old selves in terms of spirit and support. One night of college basketball in Pittsburgh has signaled another promising season. Taking a deep dive into the Panthers’ roster will display the team’s strengths and weaknesses.

Guards

Although Carrington created Pitt basketball history by recording a triple double (18 points, 12 rebounds, 10 assists) in his first career start, the frontcourt is definitely the Panthers’ weakest position. Carrington has brought a talent to Pittsburgh that has not been seen since Levance Fields or Brandin Knight. His elite passing ability is a skill that was missing from Nelly Cummings last year. Simply put, Carrington is talented. Behind Carrington is Jaland Lowe and  Michael Hueitt Jr. off the bench. Lowe was on the court for half of the game and put up 4 points, 3 assists and 1 rebound. Lowe struggled with turnovers early in the game, but steadily eased into the game. Hueitt Jr. only played for 8 minutes and scored 4 points and 1 rebound. Carrington’s skills are what props up the frontcourt, but hopefully Capel can develop Lowe and Hueitt into productive and successful players.

Forwards

Capel started three forwards against the Aggies with Blake Hinson, Ishmael Leggett and Zack Austin. Hinson transferred into Pitt from Iowa State last season and he instantly took the role of a lethal three point shooter. His deep shooting threat has been recognized by the ACC as he was selected for the Preseason All-ACC Second Team. Hinson recorded 13 points, 8 rebounds and 2 assists. Hinson’s biggest attribute, however, is not on the scoresheet. Hinson takes over as the team leader this season after the departure of Jamarius Burton. Hinson’s starting lineup experience carries over from last season as he hopes to lead the team to another tournament appearance. Leggett and Austin combined for 19 points, 9 rebounds and 4 assists. Leggett has received recognition during the offseason for his high scoring in exhibition games against Georgetown and Pitt-Johnstown. Austin played very similarly to Leggett in the season opener. Finally, Jorge Diaz Graham came off the bench and scored 14, shot perfectly from the field and performed a highlight reel dunk over the top of a NC A&T defender. 

Centers

This is where the Panthers success stems from. Federiko Federiko and Guillermo Diaz Graham both bulked up over the offseason. Not only can the two put up serious numbers in the paint, their defense is impeccable. The Aggies struggled to get any offense going against the two big men, and it seems that this is going to be a common theme for many of Pitt’s opponents this season.

Overall, the Panthers could be a major sleeper team for the ACC title and a tournament run. It would not be a surprise if Capel can get Pittsburgh to another 20+ win season or into the Top 25 at some point this year.