The Peak of Winter

With snow on the way, the Ski and Snowboard Club is starting up again.
Instagram/Seven Springs Mountain Resort
In another month, The Ski & Snowboard Club will begin heading to the mountains for Friday nights on the slopes.

Imagine this: you are full of adrenaline after gliding down to the bottom of an immensely large mountain. Now, why is this relevant? The Ski and Snowboard Club has opened up for the season! 

NASH math teacher Adam Marshall will sponsor the club again this year. He took charge last winter.

“The club provides an opportunity for all student skiers or snowboarders (including those brand new to the sport) to have an enjoyable after-school experience with their peers,” Marshall said.

Though the Ski and Snowboard Club has been offered to NASH students for decades, this year is slightly different.

“I am excited to say that the Ski and Snowboarding Club has been reinstated at NAI so that students in 9th and 10th grade will have the opportunity to join us on our scheduled trips,” Marshall added.

There will be three trips to Seven Springs Mountain Resort throughout January and February. The trips will all take place directly after school on Fridays.

Ariana Schiller, a senior at NASH, said that she is really looking forward to being able to ski again and emphasized that the winter months are her favorite time of year for that very reason. 

Evan Kaminski, a NASH senior, is equally enthusiastic, though the club will prove more of a challenge to him.

emphasized, “Since this is my first year joining the club, I hope I can learn how to actually ski,” Kaminski said. “I am looking forward to just being able to ski with friends and have a good time.”

However, Marshall identified a significant setback during last year’s season.

“The [warm] weather really put a damper on our trips last year,” he said. “Though we had many trips planned out, most had to be canceled because of 60+ degree rainy days.”

I enjoy seeing students of all skill levels—novice and proficient alike—having a great time with their friends.

— Mr. Marshall, Ski & Snowboard Club Sponsor

Schiller remembers last winter’s season all too well.

“This year I hope that we have more time to ski because last year on a trip there was only one time when we were able to ski,” she said. “The weather was too warm and it made the snow not very good to ski on.”

Although there were some obstacles with the weather last year, Marshall believes that everything will go smoothly this year.

“I am very optimistic that this season will provide us with weather that is conducive to skiing and snowboarding,” he said. “The students have such an enjoyable time being able to get out and be on the mountains with their friends.”

Schiller attested to how fun the club is.

“My favorite part is getting to know people who also ski,” she said. “It is cool to be able to ski with my friends instead of just my family.”

Although the planning takes time for Marshall, he has no doubt that this year’s season will be among the highlights of his year.

“I enjoy seeing students of all skill levels—novice and proficient alike—having a great time with their friends,” he said. “I am always amazed by how great some of our NASH students are at these activities. I am also happy how accommodating Seven Springs is to students who are new to the sport.”

Marshall shared a great opportunity that Seven Springs is offering for members of the club.

“This year, Seven Springs is allowing us to participate in their ‘Slope Days’ program,” he said. “For $199 (which covers all three of our trips), students are able to receive a lift ticket, ski or snowboard rental, and a one-hour lesson. This is such a great opportunity for students who are new to skiing or snowboarding, and at such a value rate, I hope that many students will take advantage of this deal.”

Though spots are filling fast, space is still available to join the NA Ski and Snowboard Club. Scan the QR code on the posters hung around the building, and Mr. Marshall will be in contact via email with more information regarding the registration process.