Up in the Air

The NABA season is underway, and the competition is as intense as ever.
Ruby Morris
Aidan Ward goes up for a lay up last Thursday night at Carson Middle School. Ward’s team, Team 6, played Team 11.

NABA, or North Allegheny Basketball Association, is a toned-back level of organized basketball for students in grades three through 12 who don’t want the stress of tryouts or the responsibilities of playing for the school team. And with a steady culture already established, NABA had been able to create a safe, calm, and — by all accounts — extremely fun environment.

“Ever since I stopped playing for the school team, NABA has given me and many others such a fun opportunity,” Derek Walker, a junior at NASH, said. “I love it because there is no pressure, and no matter how good or bad you are, you’re universally accepted. It’s just all about having fun, which is awesome”

As Walker vocalized his thoughts on this topic, his peers quickly congregated with similar opinions. 

“I’ve just started playing NABA this year and, to be honest, I don’t know why I didn’t start playing years ago,” junior Joey Dylewski said. “There is just something about the environment that is far different from any other basketball I’ve ever played, like a careless feeling but still uber competitive. It’s nice to go out there two to three times a week and just have fun.”  

There is just something about the environment that is far different from any other basketball I’ve ever played.

— Joey Dylewski, NASH junior

NABA has progressively picked up more and more steam these past few years, with the total number teams across both the girls’ and boys’ leagues approaching 20.

“I started playing in 9th grade,” senior Ally Ruiz said, “and it’s been a lot of fun ever since.”

But some players start NABA much earlier.

“Most of my friends play NABA,” senior Ray Loscar said. “When I started in third grade, I didn’t know many of the kids on the teams. Now it feels like I know everyone.”

NABA isn’t just a joy for the players but also for the spectators. 

“It’s awesome for me to be able to get out and watch my friends play once a week, and since it’s either my friends or people I’m seeing every day in school, I can always get a good laugh or a big smile on my face after watching a day full of games,” senior Colin Rende said.

NASH junior Logan Lyle put it plainly.

“I love NABA,” he said. 

The new season is now in its third week, which has all competitors wondering which team is the best. Who is going to win the championship? Guess we’ll just have to sit back and enjoy this, easy ride.