All Wrapped Up

The recent release of Spotify Wrapped has listeners reflecting on their year in music.
Ruby Morris

Every December since 2016, Spotify, the music streaming service with over 551 million subscribers, releases Wrapped, a nostalgic feature that compiles users’ most listened to songs, music genres, albums, and artists throughout the year on the platform. This year’s Wrapped includes users’ top five artists and songs, as well as their minutes listened and top genre for the year.

The feature begins with a colorful slideshow of the user’s listening stats, including which months they listened to their top artists, as well as the total number of different artists they listened to and a grand total of how many different songs they enjoyed throughout the year.

“The thing that I like the most about Spotify Wrapped is that I get to see how different my music taste is from the beginning of the year,” NASH senior Faith Boring said.

The feature provides a playlist for users that exclusively consists of the many different songs users have listened to for the duration of the year. 

“I find it really convenient being able to easily find some of the music from the beginning of the year without having to look very hard for the songs, especially if I forget the names of them,” Boring added.

Wrapped also includes messages from users’ top artists, who express their gratitude to those who have listened to their music.

For teenagers especially, music can feel like a part of their identity. Spotify Wrapped allows users to see just how often they listen to music. It incorporates how many minutes users have streamed music on the platform.

“I expected myself to have more minutes,” Claire Stewart, a senior at NASH, said. “I only had 42,279 minutes, which is surprising to me because I always have my AirPods in and listen to music throughout the school days.”

Spotify Wrapped also gives users the opportunity to view their top genre for the year.

“My top genre for this year was rap,” Stewart stated. 

Each year, the Spotify feature furthers its stats by calculating the streaming service’s top five streamed artists and songs globally. This year’s top five artists include the following:

1. Taylor Swift
  2. Bad Bunny
  3. The Weeknd
  4. Drake
  5. Peso Pluma

This year’s top five songs include the following:

1. “Flowers” by Miley Cyrus
  2. “Kill Bill” by SZA
  3. “As It Was” by Harry Styles
  4. “Seven (feat. Latto)” by Jung Kook
  5. “Ella Baila Sola” by Eslabon Armado, Peso Pluma