Thin Ice

The brutal, blizzard conditions of winter often outweigh the benefits of the season.
Thin+Ice
Ruby Morris

Winter is the most relentless season of the year, and it is by far my least favorite. The rush of cold air when I open my front door at 6 am in the morning to go to school makes me want to turn right back around and go back to sleep.

To me, winter is inconvenient, dangerous, and depressing.

Winter is extremely inconvenient in the sense that certain factors prevent certain activities from taking place. The many shared activities of the other seasons are over, and with cold temperatures, it is quite uncomfortable to step outside to do anything. I personally find it inconvenient to have to bundle up and wear a coat almost every time I have to go somewhere. 

The winter months also bring a spike in illnesses and viruses. According to verywellhealth, many people consider the winter season to be the common cold season. Winter also increases the risk of hypothermia and frostbite. As stated in article Winter In Pittsburgh, the average winter weather in Pittsburgh is around 20 degrees. 

Winter storms make the winter season very dangerous. For driving, the risk of ice on the roads and low visibility when it snows create higher chances of car accidents. Winter storms can also cut off heat and power in homes. 

The reduced level of sunlight makes winter particularly depressing. According to the Mayo Clinic, winter triggers a certain type of depression called SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). The days feel gloomy and short as it gets dark very early due to daylight savings ending.

Although winter is not one of my favorite times of the year, I do understand that many other people may consider it their favorite. Even though winter has its negatives, it also has some positives mixed in it. Whether it be cold-weather activities or the peacefulness of when it snows, winter may not be all that bad.

Many students enjoy winter-specific activities, such as skiing or snowboarding. A popular place that people in the Pittsburgh area go to do these activities is Seven Springs. Another winter activity that many might enjoy is ice skating. A few places nearby to ice skate include the North Park ice rink, the Lemieux Sports Complex, and the PPG Place ice rink located in the city.

Another positive to winter is also the likelihood of snow days and two-hour delays for students. I mean, who doesn’t like having time off of school? It can be quite beneficial to students, especially if they need to catch up on homework or just simply have some time to themselves.

Furthermore, the cold winter air is shown to have the positive effect of brain activity. As mentioned by the Time magazine, cold weather helps improve focus and concentration. It can also contribute to better sleep.

For people who struggle with allergies, winter tends to alleviate them substantially. According to onlymyhealth, there is less pollination in the winter. Winter can reduce the spread of some diseases as well, such as malaria and dengue.

Sure, winter has its ups and downs. But even though the positives and negatives of winter may seem to cancel each other out, I still strongly dislike the winter season as it provides little benefit to my life.