Worlds Beyond Our Own

Astronomy can yield profound insight not only into the universe but also into ourselves.
George Khelashvili via Motion Array (all permissions granted)

The most noticeable feature of driving to school on mid-winter mornings is the brutality of the weather – it’s too cold. The painful realization may lead to the fact that it is too early in the morning to be here, pressed up against the freezing window of the vehicle, wishing you could revert to the warmth of your bed. However, if you take one look at the sky, there may be something intriguing waiting. 

In early December, I noticed something in the sky–a very bright visible dot. While the sky took on its usual morning shade with the sun beginning its slow ascent, the dot stood firm. Nothing surrounded this dot; it looked like a simple star.

I wondered, why one lone star? Where did all its companions go? When I debated its meaning with my father, he was convinced that it was anything but a star — He suggested it was some sort of weather device. However, it was too bright, and I immediately wrote off his suspicions. 

Upon further observation and conversations with friends familiar with astronomy, I discovered that my father was correct. It was Venus. Taking on the name “The Morning Star,” Venus, at this time of the year, appears bright and frequently in the mornings. It also makes a return appearance in the evenings as well. 

Bright and proudly visible to the naked eye, the appearance of Venus invites us into the vastness of the universe beyond Earth. It is a reminder of the fact that the residents of the system beyond Earth reside in the Solar System as Earth’s quiet neighbors. But as quiet as they are, they are deserving of attention.

Astronomy brings such topics to light. The features of the planets fall nothing short of fascination, and the laws of the universe beyond the skies of Earth help us understand the importance of our planet, too. 

Perhaps to some, planets are not all that interesting. Most of them contain no life, right? Recent advancements have shown that this is not necessarily the case, however. For instance, while Venus’s harsh temperatures (more specifically, crushing heat) suggest that it can not sustain life, scientists have found that some of the volcanoes on Venus are still active. The gasses from these volcanoes could potentially be the source of food for microorganisms above the surface of Venus, where the temperatures are milder. 

The talk of life doesn’t end there –it extends to planets well-known, such as Mars, to lesser-known planets as well. Seven exoplanets have been discovered to have features similar to Earth, the most notable of which is Kepler 186f: a celestial body 10% larger than Earth that is believed to be hospitable to human colonization.

There is only one disadvantage to moving to such planets: the trip takes about a thousand years, give or take. 

Nevertheless, the search for life continues with NASA’s Exoplanet Program, which utilizes a technique known as transmission spectroscopy, which is the technique of splitting starlight into different colors utilizing a prism. By studying at which wavelengths the starlight is absorbed, scientists can determine what kinds of particles are present in the atmosphere, such as water, carbon dioxide, and more. Exoplanets are categorized utilizing this method by the James Webb telescope.  

The study of astronomy isn’t only relevant to finding life beyond our planet and understanding the makeup of the universe. It has proven to aid in discoveries on Earth as well. For instance, astronomy can be used in the medical field. Mirrors designed for space-based telescopes can be modified to aim high-energy particles for radiation treatment, extremely beneficial for eliminating tumors. Astronomy has proven useful for everyday items as well, including computers and satellites. The foundation of these discoveries was built upon the question of what lies in the universe. 

The beauty in astronomy never fails to amaze.  Explorations are ongoing, yet profound questions remain unanswered. Astronomy lets us think for a little longer, staring at the Morning Star in awe, transported, if only in our imagination, far beyond. Despite the winter blues of a cold, uneventful January, one can always choose to look up at the sky to be greeted by none other than Venus itself and think about a potential future where the heat of Venus directly grazes one’s fingertips.