A Review of 21 Savage’s American Dream

How does the album live up to the standard set by the rapper’s previous two releases?
Epic Records

On the early morning of January 12th, 21 Savage started off 2024 with a bang, as he released his third studio album American Dream, which is at first a confusing title, with 21 being born and based in the UK. Needless to say this album had substantial expectations and rightfully so for an artist of 21’s caliber, but does it live up to the hype of his first two releases, Issa Album or I am>I was?

American Dream comprises 15 songs for a total of 50 minutes and key features from Travis Scott, Metro Boomin, Brent Faiyaz and Lil Durk. 

Track 1 is titled “American Dream,” where 21’s mother outlines his original dreams in a narrative voice of coming across the pond and executing what he knew he was capable of. Overall, not much music/singing aspect to this song 6/10. 

Track 2, “All of Me,” is the real start to the album, where the ending of track 1 beautifully transitions to the second track. With a calmer beat to the first two songs, this album already seems more approachable to a broader musical audience who may have never listened to 21 Savage. “All of Me” gets 8/10.

The third track, “Redrum,” is in early contention not just for best song on the album but song of the year. The beat is up-tempo compared to the rest of the album, with more of a signature 21 Savage sound. 9.5/10 

For the fourth track, “N.H.I.E.,” 21 brings Doja Cat on to deliver a fan favorite song. N.H.I.E is an acronym for “Never have I ever,” and with this track only totaling two minutes and 24 seconds, it really is something 21 has never done before. 8/10

“Sneaky,” the fifth track, is exactly what you would expect from a 21 Savage song — fast tempo with the artist rapping about his past encounters with bystanders. Nothing special with this track. 5/10

“Pop Ur S**t” follows with different beats from 21 and the feature artist Young Thug, and with Metro Boomin producing the song, it’s always sure to be a delightful listen. 8/10

“Letter to My Brudda” is a heartfelt piece where 21 raps about his past experiences with violence and tragedy. While this is certainly a different kind of style, it is still phenomenal and it is becoming one of 21’s best pieces ever. 10/10

Next, “Dangerous” features some of 21’s best partners, Metro Boomin and Lil Durk as they collaborate and “stand on their business,” creating an instant classic. 9/10

Track 9, “Née-Nah” featuring Travis Scott and Metro Boomin, is bound to be a fan favorite, as Scott is among the best artists of this generation. When he talks, the public listens. These three together are always bound to succeed. 9.5/10

Track 10 , “See the Real,” is the least streamed song so far and rightly so. It’s a bit of a boring track, especially rhythmically, almost there as a filler song. 4/10

On the 11th track, “Prove It” 21 Savage surprises his listeners with a Summer Walker collaboration. Personally, I had no idea who Summer Walker was when I first listened to the track. My expectations were low, but I changed my opinion very quickly. 7.5/10 

Next comes “Should Have Wore a Bonnet” featuring Brent Faiyaz, an amazing song where the artists’ different music styles gel perfectly to make this a 9/10 track. 

“Just Like Me” follows with a chill, relaxed vibe, where Burna Boy and Metro Boomin create great spacing for 21. 7/10

“Red Sky” is another demonstration of how 21 Savage is one of today’s most versatile artists, as his collab with Tommy Newport breaks new ground. 8/10

21 Savage ends the album with “Dark Days,” a five-minute track of straight reflection. 21 and Mariah the Scientist blend together to make a perfect late-night driving song, a stunning 10/10 ending to a a 9/10 album.