A Pause for a Period

How do NASH teachers occupy themselves during their free time at school?
Ruby Morris
Mr. Rhinehart scours the dictionary in search of the perfect word to acquaint himself with during his spare time.

NASH students observe the hard work and dedication of their teachers every day in the classroom, but what fills their workday when they aren’t at the chalkboard?

More often than not, teachers take advantage of their free periods to grade papers, provide extra assistance to students, or outline their lesson plans. However, like everyone else, teachers too need balance in their daily routines.

The teachers’ lounge is a concept that students have been teased with since the beginning of their schooling. While NASh no longer has a formal teachers’ lounge, in the NASH library, students are fortunate to see the comings and goings of one of the faculty’s’ favorite break areas. As most students who often frequent the library already know, the glass-enclosed library office is a central destination for teachers on their free periods.

“In the library we have two copy machines, which draw in a lot of teachers, and we also have a coffee maker and a microwave, so a lot of teachers come in when they’re not teaching,” NASH librarian Ms. Wienand said. “I love that, because it gives me a chance to talk to them about what they are doing in their classes and find new opportunities for collaboration.”

When Ms. Wienand can afford a moment or two, she spends her spare time soaking up some sunlight.

“Sometimes I go to the goal room to use their windows,” she said.

While for some teachers breaks are purely comprised of work, for others, their off periods offer some much-needed respite throughout their busy day. 

“I usually try to stay in my room and get a moment alone, or maybe get some work done,” said AP English teacher Mrs. Rhinehart. “I sometimes talk to my husband when we have an off period together.”

In similar fashion to his wife, Mr. Rhinehart carves out time for relaxation during his day, though in a more unconventional manner. When he can, he chooses to take a brief intermission from his day to devote a moment to a unique habit that, he attests, helps him to better center himself.

“Well, obviously there are times when I have to get things done, but if I can take a moment, I like to read the dictionary,” Rhinehart said. “It grounds me. I’ll look for a new or interesting word, and the word and I will spend some time together and get to know each other, and I’ll generally feel better about life.”

Although Mr. Rhinehart is unable to fully let go of his love for the English language even on his breaks, NASH’s Latin teacher, Magistra Ramsey, has no qualms with spending her off-periods on non-work related pursuits.

“I like organizing, making crafts, and coming up with new ideas for things that don’t involve lessons,” Magistra said. “My pet wall here has been my newest fun project.”

As Magistra described, the collage of photos on the wall outside of her classroom has been her latest creative outlet. She asked her students to send her photos of their pets, which she then printed and arranged on posterboard. The idea stemmed from her wish for students to see comforting images of their pets as a small pick-me-up as they pass by on their way to class.

Outside of Magistra Ramsey’s room in the language hallway, students pass photos of their furry (and feathery) friends.  (Ruby Morris)

Though NASH teachers are often occupied with their work, most teachers have unique methods of breaking up their day by sprinkling in a bit of variety.