Rio Carnival!

This Saturday’s Morp dance promises to immerse over 500 juniors and seniors in the tropical vibes of a Brazilian-themed night.
Rio+Carnival%21
Uproar Staff

On February 3rd, 2024, NASH will be hosting its annual Morp dance for juniors and seniors. So far, nearly 500 tickets have been sold for this Saturday’s event.

Mr. Karolski, Student Council sponsor, explained how selling tickets for Morp online has been beneficial for the dance. 

“The online ticket sales are especially easier when we have winter weather delays, cancellations, and other winter chaos,” he said. “In the past, we would have had to host extra sale opportunities to keep up, but now the tickets can be purchased anytime online.”

When comparing the ticket sales to last year, the trends are showing an increase. Last year, a total of 443 tickets were sold for the dance. Karolski emphasized how this year’s total reflects ongoing interest in the dance on the part of the student body.

Although the dance only is one night in February, preparations for the event started long before. 

“We begin planning every event the year before by reflecting on what went well and how to improve for future years,” Karolski explained. “We selected the theme in the beginning of December and then ordered decorations at the end of 2023.”

This year, the StuCo officers decided on the theme of Rio Carnival.

Ruby Morris

“One of our cabinet heads is Brazilian, so she had a big part in deciding the theme,” StuCo President Sam Lopuszynski said. “To pick a theme for the dance, the entire Student Council votes between three theme options, and Rio Carnival won.”

The unique theme this year may have students questioning how the school will be decorated. Reilly Spitz, StuCo Vice-President, explained, “Rio Carnival is a celebration in Brazil in which millions of people flood the streets wearing bright colors and flashy accessories.”

But how will the decorations fit the theme exactly?

“I have worked closely with my senior cabinet head, Amanda Campos, in regard to the theme and decorations,” Spitz said. “She is Brazilian, so she is very passionate about this theme, and is very helpful when it comes to executing a Rio Carnival-themed dance.”

Spitz added, “Some examples of decorations include feather centerpieces, light-up palm trees, and large, bright masquerade style masks (made by the very creative Student Council members). The music at the function will be sure to have everyone dancing and jumping, similar to the streets of Rio de Janeiro during the time of the Carnival!”

Amidst all the long, careful work and dedication in planning the dance for students, Lopuszynski said his favorite part of Morp itself is simply seeing everything come together and seeing everyone enjoying themselves at the dance.