Between the Pipes

Junior lacrosse goalie Logan Lyle commits to St. John’s D1 program.
Tyler Eyerman

With the spring sports season on the horizon, North Allegheny’s star junior lacrosse goalie, Logan Lyle, recently announced his commitment to play lacrosse at St. John’s University in New York. Lyle is the starting goalie for a successful Tigers lacrosse program and the first Division 1 lacrosse commit from the class of 2025.

Lyle, known as “Spanky” to his teammates and coaches, has been playing lacrosse since elementary school, eventually joining selective club teams in order to showcase himself for college coaches. He has been working towards Division 1 lacrosse since the time he picked up a stick. 

“It has been my dream to play at the highest level and once the opportunity came about it was like a dream come true,” he said. “Every summer tournament and event I’ve gone to has paid off and been worth it.”

Lyle joins a short but impressive list of lacrosse players to play at the D1 level coming from North Allegheny. In recent years, class of 2020’s Isaiah Davis went on to Bryant University, and class of 2023’s Marco Pascarella chose Utah to play. Another Tiger great and current assistant coach, Kyle Rullan, went on to Bellarmine University in 2015. It is safe to say Lyle is in good company.

As an early junior year commit, Lyle still has two whole seasons left of his high school career.

“I will still be focused on these next two seasons of high school lacrosse because I want to help my teammates get recruited and make them be the best they can be,” he said. “I also have my sights set on winning a WPIAL championship after we have fallen short the last two years.” 

Tyler Eyerman

But even in light of the attention he has received from D1 coaches, the star goalie has not forgotten his roots.

“I would give all my credit to my parents because they are the ones who pushed me to be my best and helped me through this whole process and gave me everything I needed to succeed,” Lyle said.

Although the lacrosse programs at Bucknell University and Robert Morris University were keen to acquire Lyle, all it took was a visit to St. John’s in Queens, New York to realize where he wanted to play collegiate athletics.

“ I love how close St. John’s is to Manhattan,” Lyle said. “It was a perfect fit. I loved the old look of the buildings, but with a newly renovated inside. While the school is in Queens, it does not feel like an inner-city school. While I was being recruited, I visited St. Johns and it was instantly my top choice because I felt at home on the campus.” 

In the lacrosse world, it’s nearly a unanimous opinion that goalkeeping is the hardest position on the field. Because of his success for theTigers, Lyle has become one of the team’s leaders, and his coaches see that, too.

“Logan is a great kid,” Coach Rullan told The Uproar. “He always works hard and his success is very well deserved.” 

It is clear that Lyle is poised to go down as one of the best goalies in North Allegheny lacrosse history, and he still has two seasons to achieve even more.