Give Blood, Give Back

Hundreds of students will take part in the annual NASH Phys Ed Blood Drive this Wednesday.
photo by Jess Daninhirsch

Every year, 4.5 million Americans benefit from blood transfusions, and NASH continues to be part of the initiative once again. The Physical Education Department hosts the spring blood drive with the intent of pulling in possible blood donors for future years to come. This year, the drive will occur on March 6th, hosted by the blood donor company Vitalant. 

NASH offers a simple process to sign up. During the week of February 20th, each Physical Education student attended a blood drive seminar that detailed the application process and necessary requirements. 

NASH PE teacher Mrs. Roman credits her positive blood-donating experiences to informed preparation. 

“The day before, I stop drinking anything with caffeine and stick with water, making sure I get at least 64oz of water that day.  In the morning of the day I donate, I will eat a bigger than normal breakfast, drink at least 32 oz of water and, depending on when I donate, I make sure I have snacked before or had a full lunch,”  Roman explained.  “I honestly believe doing that makes the experience very easy and enjoyable.  And after donating, I always sit and enjoy some snacks before I leave and continue to drink water and eat hearty meals the rest of the day.”

The gym class seminar in February also included personal testimonies from other NASH PE teachers. Ms. Winters, who has donated blood for over a decade, talked about how the act has helped family members.

Donating blood is a simple yet powerful way to make a positive impact on the lives of others” said Winters. “ I believe it’s an act of social responsibility, and it fosters a sense of community and solidarity by contributing to the welfare of others in need without expecting anything in return.” 

Coach Kyriazis has also had a positive experience donating blood and continues to reap the emotional benefits of helping those in need. 

“I have donated blood many times, and it is always a great feeling to help people who are in dire situations,” he said. “It is a small sacrifice of your time for a very tangible need. When you hear the stories of people who need blood donations, it is very compelling. No amount of money can help when blood is needed, which is why it is so crucial for people to step up and make a difference.”

Not only is blood donation beneficial for patients in need, it is healthy for the donor as well. Donating blood stimulates the production of red blood cells–aiding your body in high efficiency. The procedure also lowers blood viscosity, a key element to lowering your risk of cardiovascular illnesses. 

NASH senior Avery Neely has witnessed the effects of blood donors as she has watched her niece’s health over the past year.

“Having available blood for Clementine has saved her life for the last year,” Neely said. “She was born with an extremely rare gene mutation that causes her body to not make or hold red blood cells, so she has had to get weekly blood transfusions for her whole life in order to survive. We could not be more grateful for the people who chose to donate blood, because we have seen firsthand how it has saved Clementine’s life.” 

Blood cannot be bought or created. It is up to healthy and compassionate individuals to contribute to a healthier society. Students who are interested in donating blood and have not yet registered can still complete the sign-up process on Blackboard.