At Face Value

When and why women wear makeup should be entirely up to them.
Ruby Morris

Makeup holds power. And controversy.

Originating in Egypt in the 6th century BCE, makeup was intended to appeal to the gods and express social status. It was worn by both women and men.

Now a global industry, the cosmetic market is valued at over $250 billion and primarily targets women.

For some women, cosmetic products allow them to feel more confident and more beautiful. Others may wear makeup simply to impress. Still others may reach for the lipstick, blush, and eye liner out of a need to mask certain insecurities.

In fact, the reasons women wear makeup are countless.

Studies have shown that women who wear makeup are treated differently, and better. They are perceived as more attractive, competent, dominant, and more socially prestigious. Today, around 63.9% of U.S. women use makeup daily.

However, women should not have to rely on makeup to feel stronger or more beautiful. Yet such a dependence on cosmetics remains a concern.

In the U.S., 44 percent of women admit to using cosmetics to hide perceived flaws in their skin, such as moles, freckles, acne, and scars. It is not uncommon for such women to feel ugly when they are not wearing makeup.

“When I wake up in the morning, I just feel ugly and being half asleep does not help me,” said one NASH student who asked to remain anonymous. “I have to get up and put makeup on to be able to look and feel somewhat presentable and good to go to school.”

Makeup can create the idea in teenage girls’ mind that without it they are not good enough. But there is another way of looking at the issue. As many girls at NASH will attest, makeup increases self-esteem, and why should that be a problem?

So the best course of action is simply to do what makes you happy and do what makes you love yourself, whether that means wearing a little makeup, a lot of makeup, or none at all.