Stick Shift

Expectations are high for the new season.
Stick+Shift
Randy Gore via NA Sports Network

As spring rolls in, the new spring sports season starts up once again. One popular spring sport beginning again is girls’ lacrosse. 

As this is the last year for seniors on the team, many have goals for their final season.

Isla Abrams, one of the senior team captains on the team, said, “I want us to win as much as we can, but I also want us to have a close and fun team.”

Senior Maya Evans stated, “This season I hope to build a good team bond and have fun winning games together.”

With the team’s first scrimmage game taking place at Newman Stadium on Monday, March 11th against Blackhawk, the girls are determined to get the season off to a good start. 

“I expect this season to be the best one yet,” senior Izzie Trunzo said.

As North Allegheny stood 5th in the WPIAL Section 2-AAA last year, with an overall record of 9-10, the girls have high expectations for this season.

“I expect challenging games and a lot of hard work to make the wins happen,” Evans exclaimed.

Abrams said, “I expect us to play as hard as we can in each game, and learn every day, regardless of some of the outcomes we might have.”

The girls are especially determined to beat their rival, Pine-Richland. With last year’s 4-12 loss toward the Rams, the team is motivated to defeat them this season. 

Even though the team has many of the same aspects that it did in prior years, there are some differences that stand out to the girls this year.  

“This season is different because we have a lot of younger players on our team who will change the dynamic and bring so much potential,” stated Evans. 

“Our coaches have one season under their belts so I think this year we’ll be able to connect with each other more and play even better than last year,” said Abrams. 

Once the girls knock out their two pre-season scrimmages, they will face Upper St. Clair at Newman Stadium on Friday, March 15th.

Although the girls acknowledge some negatives about the lacrosse season, such as difficult practices, game times, and long bus rides, they mostly talk very positively of it.

“My favorite thing about the lacrosse season is getting to know all the new freshmen on the team since I did not know them last year,” said Trunzo.

“I love the team aspect of it, and playing it basically everyday with my friends especially when the weather is nice,” added Abrams.

With a total of 18 regular-season games, the NA Girls’ Lacrosse Team has a long season ahead of them. Whether it be their last high school season or their very first, the girls on the team are set on winning and having a positive experience.